Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
Ohlins didn't offer 23nm springs, I inquired. Why don't they have 23nm springs in 200mm length?
The part number for the 23N/mm spring is 180-78/23.

I see in your OP that you had the 180-79/25, which is the same fit, but higher spring rate. They are both 220mm, and yes, I wish they made it in 200mm length and black! But the yellow 220 mm will work.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Do your springs have play on the retainers and did they scrap the shock body threads? Seems to me if the retainer was machined to fit snuggly in the spring it would center better and help prevent the damage.

Fact is, the spring i.d. could be increased 1/4" giving plenty of clearance and machine the retainer and preload nuts to hold the spring properly. The new o.d. would still be less than a stock Harley air shock.
Yes, on all counts ... The reason I can get them visually centered is because there is a good 1/8" slop radially in the retainers.

I was a bit surprised, "shocked" actually, when they started scratching. One spring set scratched on the black plastic thing, and the other scratched on the threads.

What were the ride characteristics on the variable rate spring (20/29?) I had wanted to give a try but I am tired of it and the 23 works well.

Mr Messner, can you shed some light on the installation error? My vendor did not believe it was correct, so forwarded the problem to Ohlins, who said it occurs, and that is why they built the little plastic collar on the shocks.

Sounds like something simple, can you share?

Last edited by sel53; 10-15-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Howard,

The shocks were installed per the setup instructions from Ohlins and was gone over with the techs at Ohlins. In fact they said not to shim the shocks as you recommend because "it's rubber mounted and going to move". However I told them I measured the difference between the width of the frame and the swingarm to be close to 3/16", so they were shimmed and verified the shocks were perfectly vertical and parallel.

The mounting brackets were installed per instructions. I ended up mounting the reservoirs to my detachable luggage rack with the rubber mounts but that makes installing my tourpak impossible.

The preload collars have .025" play. Seems a bit excessive, don't you think? There is very little thread contact and unless you jack up the bike they squeal making adjustments.

Please tell the forum what magic prevents the springs from rubbing as Joey from Ohlins says it's normal.

You used 220mm springs on 927 shocks on your Dyna but sell 200mm springs on your HD357's on Touring frames.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:40 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default answers

Hello Howard,

The shocks were installed per the setup instructions from Ohlins and was gone over with the techs at Ohlins. In fact they said not to shim the shocks as you recommend because "it's rubber mounted and going to move". However I told them I measured the difference between the width of the frame and the swingarm to be close to 3/16", so they were shimmed and verified the shocks were perfectly vertical and parallel.

The mounting brackets were installed per instructions. I ended up mounting the reservoirs to my detachable luggage rack with the rubber mounts but that makes installing my tourpak impossible.

The preload collars have .025" play. Seems a bit excessive, don't you think? There is very little thread contact and unless you jack up the bike they squeal making adjustments.

Please tell the forum what magic prevents the springs from rubbing as Joey from Ohlins says it's normal.

You used 220mm springs on 927 shocks on your Dyna but sell 200mm springs on your HD357's on Touring frames.

Thank you for the well wishes.
Anyone who says not to shim your shocks know nothing about installing shocks on a Harley. When I go to shows, which I should be going now in place of answering this post, I bring Ohlins shock bodies that have been destroyed because of shock alignment. You at least followed my directions when you purchased the JRI shocks that you returned (which was absolutely no fault of your own). You do what you want and believe who you want, I did not sell you these shocks and it makes no difference to me.

The mounting of the tour pack is only meant for a permanent mounted tour pack. That was done by HDF member masterblaster who borrowed my prototype shocks to go on a trip with his wife. This should be no surprise that it will be a bit work for quick detach. I never intended it to work for that application (quick detach). The SS brackets I designed are meant for the 2000~2008 FLT frame mounted ressys. We are a machine shop and know how to design and measure. I sent the print to Ohlins which I had to re-manufacture because the holes were not put in the correct spot as per print. I just make my own that are correct and in several different configurations. In subsequent brackets I found that Ohlins changed my ressy spacing to make the ressy cocked, crap details, but I do not own Ohlins. It is one thing to copy someone's work, quite another thing to understand how and why it works.

I am sorry but HDF own picture system is rotating this photo. It is not the way it is. There is nothing I can do about it. I sent Ohlins this during development.

I give thanks to Brians Bike shop for his help on mocking up my original ressy placement done in the inception of the first hose mount shock on a bagger several years ago. This is the very first concept I did.

The original design I presented absolutely works. What happens now, I have no idea.

>>> The preload collars have .025" play. Seems a bit excessive, don't you think? There is very little thread contact and unless you jack up the bike they squeal making adjustments.
<<< No, didn't I show you why that amount of play is necessary and I explained why along with a picture of what happens when people do not use common sense. Non-petroleum grease takes care of the squealing you are referring to. Again, just common sense. Watch dirt and clean your shocks as I have instructed on your JRI purchase.

>>> Please tell the forum what magic prevents the springs from rubbing as Joey from Ohlins says it's normal.
<<< Please give the vendor who sold you your shocks the opportunity to explain what you are doing wrong. This is basic 101 suspension. It is definitely operators error. Anyone who knows suspension can tell you. You are not my customer and I refuse to over ride or step in to someones else's customer. Go to your vendor as I respect proper protocol. I do not like it when others get involved in something that is not their own business. That is why you pay for a product and the service you receive after the sale.

>>> You used 220mm springs on 927 shocks on your Dyna but sell 200mm springs on your HD357's on Touring frames.
<<< You are mistaken, I have not sold but only one set of springs in my career for any shock. That was under a special circumstance with dual/completely different applications using one pair of shocks to do two different jobs.

Good luck as I have to leave now to go to Daytona for Biketoberfest. I hope I have answered all of your questions to get you suspension straightened out. I will be back at it on Monday.

Last edited by FastHarley; 10-16-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:42 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley

That's a very nice looking mount - what does the 2014+ one look like? My back says I need some better shocks

Old 10-16-2014, 01:28 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Howard,

Your customer who owns a beautiful 2013 Roadglide told me he has 200mm springs on the shocks you sold him. This would be the same customer who has your triple trees and Ohlins 30mm fork cartridges.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

might he be the only one? tune in Monday to find out...

Old 10-16-2014, 04:05 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Well Howard,

Your customer who owns a beautiful 2013 Roadglide told me he has 200mm springs on the shocks you sold him. This would be the same customer who has your triple trees and Ohlins 30mm fork cartridges.
He has a 12+" custom made very short shock, not the same as yours. What I do and what others do is two different things. I do some stuff that is not available from Ohlins with Ohlins shocks. I just talked to TJ316 and appears he and Jackie D are in a very good mood since his wife locked the front wheel of the bike to a pillar. I just can't wait! I am already tired from working since 4am.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:15 AM
control
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

booom. my bad

Last edited by control; 04-04-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by control
All this thread accomplished was, for me, personally, not to buy Ohlins. Nonetheless, I'm glad I no longer live in Fl where all the shadey people take advantage of good paying customers and offer poor customer service. Way to go. I hope this was resolved.
Typical don't know what you are talking about forum comment , he bought his shocks from Fuelmoto not Howard , the last time I looked Fuelmoto wasn't in Florida , Howard posted a few photos to help but wasn't going to waste a lot of time as he wasn't his customer , check your facts before posting

Quick Reply: Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality