Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 ultra classic

Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Troyh
Need some suggestions. 07 HD Ultra Classic 51K. 1200 miles into a 4 day ride with everything running just super. Stop for a second gas stop after a 300 mile run. Turn the bike off to fill and It would start! Nothing no clicking, lights and instruments panel was all a go. After an hour of panic out in the middle of nowhere. I tried to start in again and it started like a champ. I had the same problem at the next stop and after 35 minutes it started just fine. I've got a new regulator and it was charging just fine. I switched the starter relay to no effect. Any ideas?
Trying to follow the information:
"Turn the bike off to fill and It would start!"...probably mean NOT start.
"Nothing no clicking, lights and instruments panel was all a go"...i guess you mean NO clicking, NO lights and NO instrument panel..all OFF/NO power...everything is totally off.
Seems like your bike was acting as if there was NO electrical contact being made.
Since NO lights on the bike were on then it would lead me to think it was the main ignition switch and not the run switch or fob battery.
If there was a light on someplace then i would check the fob battery, the run switch and BOTH battery cables at all 4 ends.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by P'cola Hog
Okay, you and a few others are thinking I am one crazy SOB. Your right! but try it, it'll work.
Do the flashers blink like the fob wasn't there when this happens? Very interesting!
(I think he didn't put the gas cap in the proper place while filling up....;-)

Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 PM
P'cola Hog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
Do the flashers blink like the fob wasn't there when this happens? Very interesting!
(I think he didn't put the gas cap in the proper place while filling up....;-)
Yes.

Its exactly like not having a fob since radio frequency inference blocks signal from your fob. And it doesn't matter how close you hold the fob, it won't work, believe me...I tried.

You have three choices, either wait for frequency interference to move/quit or roll bike 5-10 feet, or learn code to bypass your fob.

okay, 4. gas cap must be kept in proper place while filling up

Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by P'cola Hog
My 07 FLHTC did this couple times, once at HD shop and at home. Its some type radio frequency inferences that causes it to happen...damn fob's/HD security malfunction.

Next time roll your bike back (or forward) about 10 feet and she'll fire right up.

Okay, you and a few others are thinking I am one crazy SOB. Your right! but try it, it'll work.
Local HD shop told me about it. Its a fairly common problem that can happen anytime, anyplace. Started my bike no telling how many times at the house and HD shop, then both times it wouldn't start, everything seemed dead...moving bike a few feet let it start right up.

Hey, its easy, its free, its worth trying next time.
Ditto on this. Also turn your cell phone off and move away from anyone your riding with that may have theirs on.
A member here posted that all 5 bikes in his group had this happen.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Overlappinglittlepig
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My 07 Ultra did the exact same thing. Just flatter me and check the starter mounting bolts. The bolts get loose over time causing the starter to loose it's ground connection. Never acted up again after tightening mounting bolts.