Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 ultra classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Troyh
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 ultra classic

Need some suggestions. 07 HD Ultra Classic 51K. 1200 miles into a 4 day ride with everything running just super. Stop for a second gas stop after a 300 mile run. Turn the bike off to fill and It would start! Nothing no clicking, lights and instruments panel was all a go. After an hour of panic out in the middle of nowhere. I tried to start in again and it started like a champ. I had the same problem at the next stop and after 35 minutes it started just fine. I've got a new regulator and it was charging just fine. I switched the starter relay to no effect. Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2014, 04:37 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

My Street Glide will do that once in a while. I have to turn the switch a little farther and that takes care of the problem.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Troyh
Stage III

Just turning the starter switch? I hadn't thought of that.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

try changeing the fob battery, had that happen today,then i put battery in backwards..another story.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:09 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Troyh
Need some suggestions. 07 HD Ultra Classic 51K. 1200 miles into a 4 day ride with everything running just super. Stop for a second gas stop after a 300 mile run. Turn the bike off to fill and It would start! Nothing no clicking, lights and instruments panel was all a go. After an hour of panic out in the middle of nowhere. I tried to start in again and it started like a champ. I had the same problem at the next stop and after 35 minutes it started just fine. I've got a new regulator and it was charging just fine. I switched the starter relay to no effect. Any ideas?
I concur, sounds like the main ignition switch.

Mark

Old 10-14-2014, 06:23 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

+3 for the ignition switch.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Check starter ground wire unplug clean put some electric grease on and plug it in see if that helps have had that issue with mine few years ago little corrosion will mess it up. Used to power wash the bike all the time ruined front wheel bearings and some electronic issues since then it only gets washed with low pressure if it gets caught in the dirty rain

Old 10-19-2014, 05:11 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I have leather braid on my clutch/front brake levers and slightly oversized grips. There have been instances after a long ride I don't pull the clutch in far quite far enough and the bike won't start. Exact same symptoms you described. When the bike was brand new I have to admit it was a little embarrassing the first time it happened.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:23 PM
P'cola Hog
Cruiser

My 07 FLHTC did this couple times, once at HD shop and at home. Its some type radio frequency inferences that causes it to happen...damn fob's/HD security malfunction.

Next time roll your bike back (or forward) about 10 feet and she'll fire right up.

Okay, you and a few others are thinking I am one crazy SOB. Your right! but try it, it'll work.
Local HD shop told me about it. Its a fairly common problem that can happen anytime, anyplace. Started my bike no telling how many times at the house and HD shop, then both times it wouldn't start, everything seemed dead...moving bike a few feet let it start right up.

Hey, its easy, its free, its worth trying next time.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by P'cola Hog
My 07 FLHTC did this couple times, once at HD shop and at home. Its some type radio frequency inferences that causes it to happen...damn fob's/HD security malfunction.

Next time roll your bike back (or forward) about 10 feet and she'll fire right up.

Okay, you and a few others are thinking I am one crazy SOB. Your right! but try it, it'll work.
Local HD shop told me about it. Its a fairly common problem that can happen anytime, anyplace. Started my bike no telling how many times at the house and HD shop, then both times it wouldn't start, everything seemed dead...moving bike a few feet let it start right up.

Hey, its easy, its free, its worth trying next time.
No you are not crazy that is mentioned in some Harley literature.

Quick Reply: 07 ultra classic