Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody not like LED/Daymaker lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
I love my Trucklite Phase 7 Reflector type, $160 at NAPA. The Projector style are too expensive and the beam is too narrow to be on a motorcycle.
Doesn't the TL stick out too far?

Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got a black bike so I don't mind it.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:52 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

If you're getting flashed....come to NC...my house, and I'll fix them for you. I promise you they are not aligned correctly and I know this because I got flashed and couldn't understand why. Once I followed the instructions to the "T" ....I found that I had only ajusted vertical alignment....but my horizontal alignment was all wrong. It wasn't that they were too high....they were aimed to the left...directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Have a buddy with RG who swore that he blinded ppl because he has 2 lights...he would pull into a parking lot (daytime) and we couldn't even look at his bike from the front (too bright). His argument was....the dealer installed the lights and he saw them adjust them. YEAH----while on a lift about 4 feet in front of a wall. He came by my house, we marked my driveway, my garage door and yep....they were pointed up at the sky.

As for looks....I don't like the projector style but ppl seem to forget about the new reflective style, which is what I have. They look so plain and ordinary that I've gotten into many arguments with ppl because they have told me I do not have daymakers---they only recognize the old style. The reflector style looks like a regular halogen with a horizontal line in the center. Trust me on this....go by your HD shop and take a look at the reflector style and you may even question if it's actually a Daymaker...it's that plain

Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Hogster 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand they are a narrower beam and that may mean that a car sitting at a stop sign may not see the light from it during the day. Is that the case?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:13 AM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rarely ride at night so that's not my priority.

Daytime visibility is a priority and the apparent blind spots at certain angles plus the price tends to make me want to keep my 3 big visible halogen lights just the way they are.

(might change when LED technology improves a bit)

Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

As long as the cage in front of me sees them I don't think it matters what they look like.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:27 AM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer

I hate the headlight on my Limited! The beam is very flat and very narrow, if you're leaned over in a turn the light just seems to cut off. I've been told by guys riding in front of me that looking at it from certain angles it doesn't even look like it's on.

On straight roads, it's a great light...

Old 10-17-2014, 09:29 AM
BBSHK
Advanced

I personally love the look and as an added bonus, the idiot and texting cagers can see me day and night. I've had a significant drop in the number of turns in front of me and people pulling out in front of me. I've had very few people flash me, and those have been during the day while I had the high beams on.

As far as them breaking? Cee Bailey's clear shield, $30 insurance policy.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
As long as the cage in front of me sees them I don't think it matters what they look like.

..... on the Road Glide anyway, they throw a wider beam .... which really helps when watchin' out for Bambi !

Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogster 1
From what I understand they are a narrower beam and that may mean that a car sitting at a stop sign may not see the light from it during the day. Is that the case?
This problem was noted, by some, with the projector style. I fully understand the reluctancy of some.....wish I had a way to prove to you that the reflective style daymaker is the way to go. I don't ride at night a whole bunch, but when I do--things look much brighter....and there is no doubt that I'm seen more easily in the daylight also (which was my main priority) ..no doubt in my mind that the daymaker is seen because when I'm driving my car--they sure do capture my attention in the rear view or side mirrors.

This was a safety upgrade for me....so, price wasn't a huge factor---I've spent far more on "flashy"

Last edited by sfcmo357; 10-17-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Does anybody not like LED/Daymaker lights?