Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody not like LED/Daymaker lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:33 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogster 1
From what I understand they are a narrower beam and that may mean that a car sitting at a stop sign may not see the light from it during the day. Is that the case?
Mine really stick out during the day. I've been told by everyone (bikes in front of me, cars in the other on coming lane, cars I pull up behind, etc) that they stand out and are attention getters...

Old 10-17-2014, 04:04 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

This is only my opinion, but I think they make you invisible during the day. I group ride a lot and the bikes behind me with halogens can been seen a lot easier and a lot farther away than the newer bikes. They certainly light up the world at night, but I prefer being seen during the day. I don't ride much at night - too many critters/drunks/texters - so for me it's not worth it.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 PM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
Mine really stick out during the day. I've been told by everyone (bikes in front of me, cars in the other on coming lane, cars I pull up behind, etc) that they stand out and are attention getters...
My buddy has them on his Limited and I think Halogens are way more noticeable during the day. Since the vast majority of my riding is daylight hours I'm sticking with the halogens.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:08 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

So do all the reflector style LED headlights stick out like the TL Phase 7? I'd like to go led but the look of the projector style puts me off. I have a visor style trim ring like this http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...04-61400293--1 but in chrome, not black. Would that cover the gap? In prior TL7 threads I've seen where some kind of frenched trim ring will cover the gap, but I don't know.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:37 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
This is only my opinion, but I think they make you invisible during the day. I group ride a lot and the bikes behind me with halogens can been seen a lot easier and a lot farther away than the newer bikes. They certainly light up the world at night, but I prefer being seen during the day. I don't ride much at night - too many critters/drunks/texters - so for me it's not worth it.
I rarely ride at night. So, my lights are for daytime illumination for other vehicles to see me. IMHO, filament based lights such ascribe halogens throw a wider beam, than LED. As such are better seen off center. Yep, LEDs are brighter in the direct center of of sight...but not as visible off to the side.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
So do all the reflector style LED headlights stick out like the TL Phase 7? I'd like to go led but the look of the projector style puts me off. I have a visor style trim ring like this http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...04-61400293--1 but in chrome, not black. Would that cover the gap? In prior TL7 threads I've seen where some kind of frenched trim ring will cover the gap, but I don't know.
The HD Daymaker Reflector does not stick out like the Trucklite. The visor trim ring you have will cover up the gap on the Trucklite. Here's a pic of my Daymaker Reflector which is visible to others on the road better than the Trucklite.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:32 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Daymakers

I have them on my Road Glide and love the way they work day or night. They let you see things at a further distance at night and make drivers more aware of you in the daylight.
I also have the Cee Bailey cover on them to fend off the rocks. Cover is not shown.
I was out of town yesterday, and saw a group of bikes coming down the road, while I was driving. There were 6 bikes and three of them had the Daymakers..they were the ones leading the way. The stock lights just seem so anemic by comparison.

Attached Thumbnails Does anybody not like LED/Daymaker lights?-dsc_0011.jpg  

Last edited by dyna rider; 10-18-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 10-17-2014, 09:14 PM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am very happy with the DayMaker on my bike. Bright as sh#t, lights up the night; increased visibility of what's ahead as well as making the bike much more visible to cars. It's all good. Yes, it was expensive. Set to the Bright setting, it is very visible during daylight hours. The beam is also , at least on my bike, pretty freaking wide. It lights up the entire road ahead. It is, in my opinion, worth it. Get what makes you happy.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 PM
MKennedy616
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Daymaker on my '13 Street Bob I traded in for the Street Glide... Keep in mind, it was the smaller version... I loved it, there was a slight cut off in turns, but once I got it dialed in just right, it was not a bad cutoff at all...

I ride home from work every night between 12-2 am, so visibility is key to me! When I got the street glide, my biggest complaint has been going back to the halogen headlight... I got an HID, but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. Will probably put it in this weekend or next week... Honestly, I just can't wait to save up and get the daymaker again for this bike... Think I'm going to go with the reflector version too...

Old 10-17-2014, 09:44 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

'Have the DMs on the '09 SERG, the only time that I don't like them is leaned over in a low speed sharp turn at night. The beam cutoff is so sharp that a lot of the (middle part) turn is not illuminated as the beam rotates with the lean of the bike, completely dark, whereas the halogens or HIDs have more "bleed" and sufficiently light the turn.

Quick Reply: Does anybody not like LED/Daymaker lights?