Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody not like LED/Daymaker lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Phalanx06
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
This problem was noted, by some, with the projector style. I fully understand the reluctancy of some.....wish I had a way to prove to you that the reflective style daymaker is the way to go. I don't ride at night a whole bunch, but when I do--things look much brighter....and there is no doubt that I'm seen more easily in the daylight also (which was my main priority) ..no doubt in my mind that the daymaker is seen because when I'm driving my car--they sure do capture my attention in the rear view or side mirrors.

This was a safety upgrade for me....so, price wasn't a huge factor---I've spent far more on "flashy"
Couldn't agree more on the reflective LED light. You get the benefit of the brightness of LED light and because it has the "reflector dish" of a conventional halogen, you get the peripheral light that is missing from the regular daymaker light. While the light is brighter (road signs light up from far away and I'm seen better in the day) I've never been flashed by other vehicles. I believe that it's because the light coming from the bulb is just brighter in terms of spectrum and not in terms of intensity (if that makes any sense) JMHO.

In terms of cost, go to Kutter HD's online store. They offer 20% off and free shipping for all orders above $50. Honestly, the smartest upgrade I've made to my bike.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM
trace2008
Extreme HDF Member

Received 6,566 Likes on 3,121 Posts

me, they are ugly

Old 10-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Originally Posted by trace2008
me, they are ugly
What is uglier is my blood and guts splattered across the road.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:46 AM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put the truck lite on my Roadking. Headlight and passing lights. I also wired passing lights to stay on all the time. When I ride to work at 4:30 am it is a HUGE improvement in distance and side to side vision. I checked my aim from stock and it was quite a bit low. I adjusted it up correctly and do not get flashed at all. I have visor rings on all my lights. I am extremely happy with them.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 AM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the loud pipes were the ticket to safety?

Now LED lights?

What's next, Hi-Vis yellow safety vests and orange full face helmets?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by airfuel
I thought the loud pipes were the ticket to safety? Now LED lights? What's next, Hi-Vis yellow safety vests and orange full face helmets?
We are talking about freedom and individual choices, not government mandates.

At night, I like to see where I am going and I like others to see me,

Remove all of your light bulbs if you want to. I don't care.

I don't subscribe to the school of thought that loud pipes save lives. To me that is just somebody looking for justification for loud pipes. No, my exhausts are not stock. They are not obnoxious either.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 AM
trace2008
Extreme HDF Member

Received 6,566 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
What is uglier is my blood and guts splattered across the road.
playing taps

i never said they don't provide better light.

the question was if anybody didn't like them. i don't think they go well with the classic look of the HD. i looked at the new bikes at the dealer and thought good god that is an ugly light.

i haven't ridden with them and have no experience other than seeing them. so when i say i also think there is such a thing as too much light. what could happen when you blind an on coming driver? i don't know if that is a real issue.

me, i see well enough with the lights i have. just my personal opinion.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by trace2008
playing taps i never said they don't provide better light. the question was if anybody didn't like them. i don't think they go well with the classic look of the HD. i looked at the new bikes at the dealer and thought good god that is an ugly light. i haven't ridden with them and have no experience other than seeing them. so when i say i also think there is such a thing as too much light. what could happen when you blind an on coming driver? i don't know if that is a real issue. me, i see well enough with the lights i have. just my personal opinion.

A properly aimed light will not blind oncoming traffic. The problem is many people don't have their lights adjusted properly, especially people with lowered suspension bikes and lifted four wheel drives.

Different LED's have vastly different appearances. I admit some of them look like they belong on a spaceship.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 AM
RedDog10
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Day Makers on HD Trike

This past summer I took a trip to Nova Scota and PEI, Quebec & NB, 6000 miles RT from TN and felt I needed brighter lights as I am aging a bit, (68yo).
I am so glad I spent the nearly two grand, They were absolutely great. I also added Motolight's Fog lamps.
Ended up I I had to do some night riding as I had a tight schedule up to meet a ship out of Portsmith ME to Yarmouth NS. Besides that, I rode two days up in the remenants of a Hurricane that moved up the coast July 3rd. One day I did 800 miles in 18 hours of riding in the torrential rain and another 600 in 13 hours. I wasn't out to break any land speed record but I Couldnt imagine that kind of riding on a two wheeler being any faster anyway. Even though I have had a lot of performance work to my engine, there is only so far a trike will go on 6 gallons so frequent gas stops are a must. I brought along an extra Gallon just in case as I have run pretty close to being on fumes a couple times on other trips so I wasnt up for pushing my luck especially since I do the majority of my trips alone, just not into all the BS that comes with riding long distance with others, been there done that. Considering that I have done a lot of riding globaly, I am a pretty savy traveler but nothing remeinded me of this trip which was quite a few days in the rain, three days back from QC in the rain with long long days.
If you need a recommendation on the lights, I say I am glad I spent the money.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Warbird40
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparks200
Worked great until a truck kicked up a rock and shattered the lens on it. Still works but looks like hell. Called Harley and they said can't repair them, throw away. WOW $500 in the trash, insurance was $500 deductible. Lesson's learned!
I also live in Cali where you typically see a lot of semi trucks on the freeways, so on my 2000 RK, I replaced the dull sealed beam with the headlight from a 2012 SG (which has a much clearer lens) for $20 on Craigslist and a $30 HID 5000k kit and I couldn't be happier with the results! The HID kit is ISO certified and inspected by US techs, its 100% plug and play, comes with 2 yr warranty and since it comes in 2, so my friend got an HID set for free.

And NO, I am not affiliated with them.

Last edited by Warbird40; 10-22-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Does anybody not like LED/Daymaker lights?