Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from Sportie to Larger Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 AM
mupepe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A month ago I went from a 2013 883 to a 2014 Road King. It made riding easier actually. The Road King is easier to handle. Low speed maneuvering is different. I read up on similar threads to yours for experiences. Front brake usage on the bigger bikes aren't as forgiving at low speeds as the sportys. But after a few hours the bike wont even feel so big anymore. Have fun man.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:16 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

I went from an old iron Sportster to a evo Road King. In between bikes I had an 18 year break in riding.

I had absolutely no problems adjusting to riding again or riding a bigger bike. However, back when I did ride I attended a few riding courses and have a cautious attitude about motorcycle safety.

I found the King to be a less nimble machine but much easier to ride.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:22 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from an 06 Sportster 1200 after 8yrs. to my 14 Road king. Sure I had initially worried over the 200+lb. difference but it was all for nothing. It's a heavy beast but if you ride your current bike well especially since the sportys are more top heavy there won't be an issue. The low slung wgt. and handling of the touring bikes is incredible. After the first month of ownership I loaded up the Mrs. and about 75lbs. of luggage and hit the road and the ride difference and handling confidence made the weight and size disappear.
The only concern is don't park where you have back up an incline lol (it ain't happening).

Old 10-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

An upgrade would be from an 883 to a 1200. Going to a big twin is going to a different kind of motorcycle. My Tour Glide is far more comfortable, actually handles better, and might be just a tad quicker (S&S motor), but I still love the basic raw bike feeling on a naked no frills sporty. If I could only have one, it'd be the Glide; it can still be fun on any of the roads I enjoy on a sporty, but the sporty wouldn't do a 500 mile day without my old body complaining about it. I'd buy a used one of each before I'd only buy one or the other new.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:00 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Hi David!

Your question would be much easier to answer if you tell us WHY you're thinking of upgrading. Do you want more power? More comfort? Something for longer rides? Riding two up?

Or, are you just gettin' "the itch"?

I loved my Sportster, and last year upgraded to a Dyna Super Glide Custom (FXDC). I had started to take longer, out-of-the-city-limits rides, and I was getting beat up more than I wanted. Here's the part that absolutely blew me away: The Super Glide was much easier to handle than the Sportie. Mine isn't a Touring model, so the weight difference was closer to 100 pounds and not 200 pounds, but that's still a big difference. The fact that the weight is down low makes a huge difference. I've never had a moment's doubt that it was a huge improvement in all respects. Love my new bike.

Oh, and there's just a little bit of difference in power going from an 883 to 1690.

Now, I'm casting sly little glances at new Road Kings. Going from a '14 Dyna to a '16 RK is gonna get expensive, so I'll echo some other suggestions and tell you to try to find a local guy who'll let you take a short ride with him and trade bikes. May be tough, I know, but it will help you with your decision.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Traded 05 XL1200C for 09 FLHX for added long-ride comfort. At my age, the Sporty just wasn't cutting the mustard on anything over 250-miles. Definitely a big jump in creature comforts (frame, suspension, fairing, stereo, cruise, etc.) and surprised on how nimble the Street Glide rides. You just have to start slow & get used to added weight + different balance. From there, it's all uphill. I missed the Sportster so added another last year for short-trips. Having both to compare side-by-side, each has their riding differences and feel. You just have to get somewhere to take a test run...good luck!

Old 10-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The short answer to your question is yes there will be a significant difference going from a smaller bike to a larger one but you can handle it. Tourers especially the road king are not hard to handle. It will just take a little time to get use to.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:12 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
I'd love too but no dealer in Israel and the nearest one-day, non-Arab ride seems Germany, Switzerland or Austria. Kinda expensive.

So where do you go to buy a Harley in Israel?

Old 10-18-2014, 06:29 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from a 2006 1200 custom to a 2011 limited. It took me all of a week to get used to the batwing fairing, it messed with me not being able to see the ground when I came to a stop, after the week went by, I was whipping my limited around in parking lots like nothing. A lot of members say a limited is not a in town bike for short trips, I say, hell yes it is, I ride my bike everywhere and it is NP. The weight diff is a few hundred pounds but once you are rolling, it disappears. If you whip your sporty around like nothing, the jump to a touring bike will be easy. Just remember when you come to a stop, don't look at the ground, look straight ahead and stop, it will come natural to you after a week or so. I wish I would of made my move years earlier than I did! Good luck in your quest, keep the shiney side up.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

from a sporty to an FXR - gained leg and arm room, comfy seat and relaxed highway ride. actually easier to ride because it wasn't so jittery. I sold the sporty to my brother who made a hot rod out of it, which was faster because it was lighter.

Quick Reply: Going from Sportie to Larger Ride