Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from Sportie to Larger Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Some of these posts crack me up. I dont see a bigger bike as an upgrade.......I see it as different. My sporty is big enough, and comfortable enough to do anything I want solo or 2 up. I rate my bikes by fun factor, sporty is fun, a bigger bike? Wrong direction on the scale. Thats why I picked up a Buell, its in the right direction on the fun factor scale.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went from a 883C to a Springer Softail to a Tourer (RK & RG). The biggest difference that I notice that it is a smoother ride, a lot heavier to get off of the kickstand but a 100% improvement over the sporty.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Some of these posts crack me up. I dont see a bigger bike as an upgrade.......I see it as different. My sporty is big enough, and comfortable enough to do anything I want solo or 2 up. I rate my bikes by fun factor, sporty is fun, a bigger bike? Wrong direction on the scale. Thats why I picked up a Buell, its in the right direction on the fun factor scale.
I'm with you on the different versus upgrade. Never understood the "sporty is a small bike"; it's much bigger and heavier than some I've done multi-state rides on. Stopped at a place with a bunch of mostly Harleys parked out front last week; one guy said the sporty looked too small for me. I don't care what it looks like, feels fine to me. I think a Buell would be a real fun bike, but at my age and physical condition, suspect I'd be in pain within an hour. Think I'm probably going to be using the old Tour Glide for the longer rides when I finish restoring it, but won't be getting rid of the 1200; that's a keeper as far as I'm concerned, would miss riding a naked bike occasionally.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

If you haven't noticed, this is the touring section - size does matter...

A barstool may be comfy enough but it's not a recliner...

Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Hogi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

I had sporty, Dyna and now the Road King.
Next month Elbar is going to open the new Harley Dealer in Holon Israel. They are going to have good prices on new bikes, trade-ins and paymants just to knock off the 'personal-import[יבוא אישי]' jungel we have now. It's meen used harley prices are going to crash [they allredy crashing the last 2 years without dealer.

But for you - May be Masaya is coming and we'l have demo rides too.

until then you can come to Boni's new place evry Tuesday and Thursday and meet bikers with bikes from 'small' to 'big'

I'm in Rehovot. you can call me at 0507-507992 [Ori].

Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Harley seems to design their different bikes to fit the length of rides the customer takes.

Sportster for short around town rides.
Dyna for longer rides out in the country.
Softails for stretching things out, and good for day trips.
Touring bikes for crossing countries.

Now, some people can put on thousand mile fun trips on a Sportster, and never complain, but for most the trips are more enjoyable on a bigger bike.

The cost also goes up as you get a longer distance bike, but the value is there for most.

The most popular bike Harley makes is a Street Glide. It combines the great looks of a lowered custom, with the ability to ride on one day after day. It is nimble around town, great for riding two up, has a full set of gauges, stereo and tons of options.

Road King is perhaps the most versatile with it's removable windshield. Strip it down with a solo seat for bar hopping, and put on the windshield and a removable trunk for riding multiple day trips with a passenger.

They are great handling, smooth, powerful, fantastic looking, and with the many available accessories are adaptable to most any driving style and needs.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

As a lot of guys here...

I had a Sportster.

The key word in that sentence is "had".

I'm not knocking them, they are great bikes for what they are.

...but they're not touring bikes.

As far as handling, you don't see many pro skills riders using them for the skills rodeos.

And, not unlike the release of the Rushmores last year, those that own the older bikes or Sportys will defend them. Sometimes it's because they're too cool to be seen on a geezerglide, sometimes it's because they truly want a touring bike, but don't have the wallet or the means for it, and sometimes the OL won't let the boys out of the purse, and sometimes, they just cannot justify the purchase. Usually the guys that don't fit one of those descriptions don't feel the need to "defend" what they have.
Nor should they. I don't.
I ride what I love.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no issues going from a Sportster Sport to a Road Glide, with the sportster being the heaviest bike I've ridden. Of course I was a bit apprehensive but the big bike handles better than I thought.

Go for it.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan

As far as handling, you don't see many pro skills riders using them for the skills rodeos.
Second time in this thread this has come up. You guys are drinking some serious koolaid if you believe that. They use the big bikes to show that someone with skill can make a barge turn, not because they handle better than a sporty.

Ive heard the age thing and the ability to afford thing too. I can buy anything Harley makes, and Im 50 years old. How old and rich do I have to get before those things will make me want a bigger bike?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Second time in this thread this has come up. You guys are drinking some serious koolaid if you believe that. They use the big bikes to show that someone with skill can make a barge turn, not because they handle better than a sporty.

Ive heard the age thing and the ability to afford thing too. I can buy anything Harley makes, and Im 50 years old. How old and rich do I have to get before those things will make me want a bigger bike?
67 does it for me. Somewhere between two and four hours on the sporty, and I wish I was on the glide. I think it's more to do with it being a naked bike, though, lower back and damaged right shoulder start aching from the wind pressure. Could probably go a lot longer with a windshield. But then it wouldn't be what I want a sporty for.
The only bikes Harley makes that I can afford are the ones someone else bought first...

Quick Reply: Going from Sportie to Larger Ride