Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modulator ? Headlight/Spotlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

They certainly make the bike visible, but the confusion they create for the typical cage driver may very well more than offset any perceived benefit.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Padre
Club Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 526 Posts

I prefer the taillight modulator. Some people think the headlight modulator draws cagers to actually drive toward you since they are looking at you so hard trying to figure out what exactly it is they are seeing.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:54 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I strongly dislike modulated headlights. Yes, I see them, my eyes are drawn to them then I focus on them. Then I realize it and look away only to look back again. My eyes are good enough at picking up motion against a still backdrop, that's how a predator's eye is supposed to work. The DRLs are a distraction to me, flashing f*ng headlights are even worse. Sorry for the rant, but I really don't like them.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,391 Likes on 21,384 Posts

It's not a matter of you disliking them.
It is a matter of you being seen.
That is the point.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:21 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

I've never mistaken a modulator flashing headlight for someone flashing me. The cadence is different and non-stop. Not saying others couldn't, but I never have, and I've never seen any indication of it having happened while I was watching.

I do find them someone attractively annoying. I notice then, and tend to keep looking at them. To the point of distraction and irritation.

I have one, and have considered mounting it. But mostly due to their size, and partially due to their awkwardness of control, I have not done so yet.

I do also consider installing either a yellow headlight or yellow spot lights in order to stand out from the sea of other headlights. Something else I have yet to actually do.

I already do find the Harley light bar to stand out from others, and vastly superior to virtually all other motorcycles with regards to visibility to others.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

It all depends on where your located and how people will respond to a flashing light. Where I live if a vehicle is behind you flashing lights that means they need to get by you, as in an emergency. I used a modulator once and the result was people slowing down trying to find a place to pull over and let me by. Once an elderly lady nearly ran her car in a ditch trying to give me room to pass. After that I realized that I was creating a problem for other drivers. I removed the modulator and feel much safer without it. You just don't see them in my neck of the woods so to speak and for good reason. What works in some places may not in others.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Kisan and love it. It works with the high beam and is controlled by the high beam switch. As I approach a left-turner I hit the high beam button. In those situations I have all the brakes covered and my finger on the H/B switch. Takes about 1/2 second for it to modulate and I have to figure that in when approaching a situation. IMHO it is the only defense we have in a potentially dangerous situation.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Modulating spots,
Yellow Spots,
Modulating head lights.

Umm Idea, what about 2 modulators, one on the headlights and one on the spots so they alternate. Yellow spots on, headlight low, then yellow off, and headlight on high, then get a white strobe to go under the fairing, and a yellow one on the back under the bags, then a BAL, then a loud horn....no make that 4 trumpet horn with 2 on each side, and then....

Be seen and heard..

Seriously I like the modulating lights, and I have thought about hooking up to spots for on / off. No idea how it would connect though, I would like to know though.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:27 PM
swervin irv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the Modulator on the last ( 3 ) bikes and I have been praised and cussed but at least they see me.I have had less problems with dumb a** drivers over the last few years.They are DOT legal in all States.....................

Old 10-22-2014, 01:03 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
I would like to know though.
a device like the kisan p75w inserted on the grey/blk wire from the spot switch would do it.

the lights don't go all the way off, the intenstity is reduced 4 times a second.

Mike

Quick Reply: Modulator ? Headlight/Spotlight