Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual

Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Because they dont, Its pretty simple for several reasons

1) Harley could sell them themselves, they dont need these idiots. They already offer downloads of installation documents, it would be simple for them to offer manuals

2) Why would they let them sell (poorly scanned) manuals for much less than they sell the hard copies themselves?

3) if they were to offer them electronically, they'd do it through much more legitimate means, like Amazon, iTunes and Google Play

4) The reason this site shuts down these threads is because Harley has asked them to.

5) If I'm not mistaken, Harley has stated publicly that there's no such thing as a legitimate manual download.

6) And then there's this from their own web site: "The use of various company names and products in this ad exists solely for informational and descriptive purposes and does not infer a direct connection between our manuals and those companies and agencies mentioned. We have no associations with other manufacturers or their captive trademarks."

Why do you think they have a relationship with them?
Why have they not intervened? I would suggest that your interpretation of the copyright laws may be flawed. But then again, there are numerous " forum attorneys" that I am sure will be more than willing to give their uneducated opinions.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought a manual from the dealer as soon as I bought my bike.
Seems like everything Harley produces is copyrighted.....why would they OK someone to sell a manual? (Remember back when Honda produced a bike with a crankshaft that made a sound 'like a Harley".....Harley took Honda to court, and Honda could not use the word "Harley" in ads anymore. (Although Harley tried to patent the exhaust sound of their bikes....that did not go far).
I have plenty of uneducated opinions...some worse that others.

Chuck

Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Amazing! Never thought someone asking about a service manual would incite this sort of comments. I would rather buy direct from Harley myself but to each their own. Lets be careful however not to buy the wrong manual lest you be banned from this forum! Really!

Yes, really.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 10-20-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check eBay. Someone might have traded and is selling theirs now.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by teedubya
Amazing! Never thought someone asking about a service manual would incite this sort of comments. I would rather buy direct from Harley myself but to each their own. Lets be careful however not to buy the wrong manual lest you be banned from this forum! Really! Take a chill Izzy.
I am sure many of the forum members would prefer to buy Harley product...but they have priced themselves out of the market. We are not working on the Lunar Lander requiring a particle free environment...so if a fellow can accomplish his task using a mildly inferior compilation for 1/6 the cost...God bless him. I agree with you...I just don't get in a lather over it.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by dochawken
Why have they not intervened? I would suggest that your interpretation of the copyright laws may be flawed. But then again, there are numerous " forum attorneys" that I am sure will be more than willing to give their uneducated opinions.
As clearly you have done.

There are many reasons why they may not have intervened, one reason is that the web site may be out of a jurisdiction which would have enabled them to do so.

Last edited by Keithhu; 10-20-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:08 PM
dochawken
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
As clearly you have done.

There are many reasons why they may not have intervened, one reason is that the web site may be out of a jurisdiction which would have enabled them to do so.
Ok..I'm listening...your knowledge appears so vast on the issue. So far I am quite underwhelmed..

Old 10-20-2014, 08:26 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

....tried selling my '93/'94 sporty, 2000 sporty, 2000 Soft Tail, 2004 Electra glide, 2009 Electra glide repair manuals.....think some would pay me $8 plus shipping? I had a LED head light for mu EG Ultra, 6 monthes old. Cost me $200. I asked $25. Could not sell that sucker.
Finally, I saw a guy on a EG going down my road.....I waved at him, and gave him the damned thing.
Before you download a pirate copy....maybe offer to pay postage to someone with a
book? How about trade a t-shirt for a manual?

Chuck

Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Dealership. #99483-13.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:12 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by themensh
....tried selling my '93/'94 sporty, 2000 sporty, 2000 Soft Tail, 2004 Electra glide, 2009 Electra glide repair manuals.....think some would pay me $8 plus shipping?
If you've still got them, I'll gladly give you 8 plus shipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manual