Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maladjusted pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:03 PM
iamron6113
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face maladjusted pushrods

Cut out pushrods to rebuilt cam case on my TC88- 04 FLHPI: bearings, tensioners, O-rings.
Bought S&S adjustable pushrods.
While installing them I thought I was OK and on TDC of cylinder I was installing. Waited for lifters to bleed down, rotated engine and did same to rear cylinder.

BUT, bike was in OTDC. So, when I cranked bike - it sounded wrong. I cut it off 3-4 seconds later. When I pulled pushrods they were fine. both lifters in rear cyl now, collapsing too easily. Waited a couple days but they were shot. I bought S&S lifters for 2d try. Installed lifters, found TDC in front cylinder (rotated rear wheel forward until I was blue in the fact to make sure I was at TDC. Reinstalled pushrods. Turned rear wheel by hand several times listening for any funny sounds, rattling, anything. Didn't hear anything unusual. But, now, I'm scared to crank the bike.
Does anyone know if there are clues, signs, indications of damage in rocker area without cranking the bike or pulling the rocker covers?
Thanks
Ron

Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way to tell if there is damage unless you pull the rocker covers. I would crank and see what happens.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

for the next guy find TDC before cutting the pushrods.

to find TDC put your finger on the sparkplug hole, when the piston comes UP toward TDC your finger will be blown off.

at this point the piston needs to be at top of bore- BOTH valves closed...like on the compression stroke that is Top Dead Center

with rear wheel lifted and bike in gear turn the wheel with your toe to move the piston

you can use a dial indicator, micrometer OR even a pencil stuck in the plug hole to see if the piston is before/after or at TDC

misadjusting valvetrain ( pushrods are part of this) can cause the valves to hit the piston...bending valve, valve stem, breaking valve guide/seal, marring piston...which can cause pinging and eventual hole burned through piston.
That is more likely area for damage- not the rocker arms

I doubt that there is much in the way of damage- if the valves are misadjusted, then the motor won't develop the power required to kill itself....the too-long pushrods will hold the valves partly open, so no compression, no seal
no power
or if the pushrods are too short, the valves won't open fully or for much duration- no air, no fire, no power

If you have cut the pushrods and do not know what degree of rotation the motor is in, you can look at the cams...lobes will not be in contact with lifters on compression stroke

kinda sure was nice to be able to pull a case plug and look at the flywheel markings...oh the old days...

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-20-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

to find TDC put your finger on the sparkplug hole, when the piston comes UP toward TDC your finger will be blown off.

at this point the piston needs to be at top of bore- BOTH valves closed...like on the compression stroke that is Top Dead Center

with rear wheel lifted and bike in gear turn the wheel with your toe to move the piston

you can use a dial indicator, micrometer OR even a pencil stuck in the plug hole to see if the piston is before/after or at TDC

misadjusting valvetrain ( pushrods are part of this) can cause the valves to hit the piston...bending valve, valve stem, breaking valve guide/seal, marring piston...which can cause pinging and eventual hole burned through piston.

I doubt that there is much in the way of damage- if the valves are misadjusted, then the motor won't develop the power required to kill itself....the too-long pushrods will hold the valves partly open, so no compression, no seal
no power
or if the pushrods are too short, the valves won't open fully or for much duration- no air, no fire, no power

If you have cut the pushrods and do not know what degree of rotation the motor is in, you can look at the cams...lobes will not be in contact with lifters on compression stroke

Mike
Good stuff

Old 10-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Watch the youtube video by Jason of S&S. It will answer your questions on how to do it right.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 PM
GNrider
Tourer

I doubt if you damaged anything unless you put in a high lift cam. If you did the heads have to come off anyway. Follow the instructions, along with advise from this thread and fire it up. If the valves are too tight you'll here it in a rough idle.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:32 AM
iamron6113
Novice
Default maladjusted pushrods

Thanks for reply. . . good stuff !

Originally Posted by mkguitar

no power

kinda sure was nice to be able to pull a case plug and look at the flywheel markings...oh the old days...

Mike

Old 10-21-2014, 09:35 AM
iamron6113
Novice
Default maladjusted pushrods

No high lift cam. . bike is stock. thanks for reply

Originally Posted by GNrider
I doubt if you damaged anything unless you put in a high lift cam. If you did the heads have to come off anyway. Follow the instructions, along with advise from this thread and fire it up. If the valves are too tight you'll here it in a rough idle.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:34 PM
cfreeze
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

why would you start with the front cyl? after putting the outer cam sprockets and chain on the engine is in rear cyl tdc.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:03 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

whole lot of good but complicated advice here. this is easy stuff guys.. don't over think it.

since rods are out, do rear cylinder first. no need to be on both sides of the motor going back and forth.

*KEY*
outside pushrods are exhaust
inside pushrods are intake
start with rear cylinder
bike in highest gear

put 2 fingers on top of the lifters in the rear tappet block
roll back tire until exhaust lifter (outer) goes up, then down then intake (inner) goes up then down. when intake gets down at it's lowest point (AFTER EXHAUST), the exhaust lifter should also be at bottom. you are now on the base of the cam and at TDC
install your pushrods
let them bleed down
now do the same for front.

Quick Reply: maladjusted pushrods