Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowered front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I think all he was saying is the stock shocks are 12 3/4 inches, not the 13 inches we all are guilty of calling them. So swapping from stockers to the 12 inch Low Profile shocks will only net you 3/4 of an inch drop, not an inch.
I do believe the stocks are 13", and the profiles are 12".

But due to the angle of the shocks, that "inch" shorter only nets ¾" drop.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I do believe the stocks are 13", and the profiles are 12".

But due to the angle of the shocks, that "inch" shorter only nets ¾" drop.

Nope, all harleys air shocks are 12 3/4. The have been for decades. Except of course the lo profile 12's. Grab a tape measure if you don't believe me. I just assumed that's what you meant. But we all know what happens when we assume......

Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Warbird40
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mine was lowered 1.5"

My 2000 RK was lowered 1.5" front, 1" rear. I have already dented 2 fenders, one on a very slow dip, and 1 going up my driveway, so you have to be extra careful and use 15 wt fork oil.

Attached Thumbnails lowered front end-2014-09-18-20.34.01.jpg  
Old 10-22-2014, 01:13 PM
EasternPC_Forum
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We drop front ends all the time here. Our two biggest sellers are the Progressive drop in lowering kit and their mono tube kit. The drop in kit will drop it 1" to 2" without having to tear apart the whole front end to give you a lowered ride which is great. People that are looking for a lowered stance but also an improved ride will usually go with the mono tube kit. Not only are you able to still drop the bike 1" to 2" but you will get an amazing ride from it as well.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Good luck finding a dropped kick stand. I bought an Arlen Ness and a Pingel but both of them stood the bike up straight. Ended up making a wedge shim to fit under the mount to change the angle enough so the bike wouldn't fall over when parked on a slight slant.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:02 PM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Drag specialties makes a kick stand one inch shorter...took me ten minutes to install it....I think yaffe makes one 2 inches shorter.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Groucho1
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Ok...

Sorry...I was thinking the Progressive cartridges. It was late and I wasn't reading it correctly.

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Not sure what you mean??? The drop in kit is just a set of 2 shorter springs, two stabilizer springs, and cuttable spacers. The oil is critical is dampening.

I think all he was saying is the stock shocks are 12 3/4 inches, not the 13 inches we all are guilty of calling them. So swapping from stockers to the 12 inch Low Profile shocks will only net you 3/4 of an inch drop, not an inch.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With something like the Profile-Low front end, do you have to be concerned about the tire hitting the inside-bottom of the fender? A couple of the pictures sure make it look like the front fender sits a lot farther down on the tire.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:41 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LilWick
Drag specialties makes a kick stand one inch shorter...took me ten minutes to install it....I think yaffe makes one 2 inches shorter.
Yeah, both of the ones I bought were the 1 inch shorter stands. Gets a little expensive trying to find one that will work , thus the wedge to solve the problem. I agree, ten minutes to change the stand with a beer break in between.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
With something like the Profile-Low front end, do you have to be concerned about the tire hitting the inside-bottom of the fender? A couple of the pictures sure make it look like the front fender sits a lot farther down on the tire.
It is my understanding that the chances of a fender strike are increased, but it is not uniform or universal, owing to the variability between different models or even individual bikes. Some apparently have more clearance for whatever reasons. Be it different fenders, different mounting of the fender, gee-gaws, etc.

Many motorcycles allow you to measure the bottomed out clearance readily enough by simply removing the springs from the fork tubes and jacking the front wheel up until it bottoms. Not sure if this is the same with a Harley or not.

Quick Reply: lowered front end