Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 AM
cap_njack
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Upgrade

I recently bought a 2014 ultra limited, since then I bought a D & D fat cat 2 into 1 exhaust and a heavy breather, I called the local dealer to have them installed and wanted to have a tuner put on it and to have it dyno tuned, he told me that if I put a tuner on it it would void my extended warranty. I'm 55 years old I don't drive it like i did when i was in my 20's
Is this correct because the bike runs way to lean stock much less if i do the upgrades.
any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Then why does HD sell their own tuner if it voids the warranty? No, it won't void any warranty unless they can prove that the actual component caused whatever failure occured. Find another dealer or indy...this guy sounds like a tool.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I was told the same thing about esp, that's why I went with a power vision .I had the ability to put the bike back stock if I had to go into dealer for warranty work. There are plenty of good tuners that do this , the power vision was just easiest for me.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM
cap_njack
Novice

Thanks for the info, just not sure what i am going to do, it kinda pisses me off that they would do that.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Symantics... You will still have your two year warranty and your esp however, you will increase your likelihood of a repair not being covered if it can be "claimed" the tune caused the issue.

You put a tuner on it, an idiot tunes it, your engine melts down, you really think HD should cover that?
If dealer tunes it, you need discussion up front if they stand behind it.
Now, if you install a tuner and your radio stops working, you still have a warranty.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Find someone else to install the pipes & tuner

Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Good info here.

The dealer I bought two, 2014's from (FLHTK and an FLHXS) on 8/28/13 told the wife and I if we didn't bring our bike back to THAT dealer for the $475 1000 mile service, that our warranty would be voided. He said I couldn't even take it to the dealer closest to my house.

A lot of dealers spout bullshit, and the problem is, most of the guys doing the spouting don't even realize they are spouting.

It is highly unlikely a tune will melt your engine. But as mentioned above, the PV2 stores the stock tune, and I have all the stock parts.

Getting the "dealer" to "stand behind" something really doesn't matter either, the dealer does not have the final say on what is or isn't covered.

What you have to ask yourself is:

A. Do I want the bike to run correctly with a tune?

B. Do I think a tune is going to melt my engine down?

C. Is tuning my bike worth the risk?

D. Does that "risk" really exist, or is the dealer using scare tactics?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:27 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

MoCo offers two tuners, the SERT and the SERT-PRO. SERT doesn't void the warranty but is limited in capabilities. It will fatten up the fuel mix and cool your bike. Sounds like it will be fine for what you want.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I've got a 2011 RK with an intake, Fatcat 2 into 1 and SEPST. I've had it in the shop for warranty work and never had them even ask about the modifications, (once under regular warranty, once under the extended). Find a reputable dealer and you're good to go. Remember, even a bullsh*tter at the dealer is gonna have to prove that your modifications caused or contributed to whatever problem they don't wanna cover. I realize that's still pretty daunting for someone who doesn't understand stoichiometric mixture ratios. I've had service writers try to BS me for warranty work on other brands. When you speak to them in great detail about how it's not connected they usually shut up and fix it under warranty.

Personally, I've had more good warranty service out of HD than any other brand. In 03 they had to essentially replace the engine in my Dyna because of cam chain tensioners. I rode that SOB until it sounded like a bag of tools rolling down a hill. Them: "Didn't you hear the noise the motor was making???" Me: "Yeah I heard it. I brought it in 20,000 miles ago and you said 'They all do that' so I kept riding it. When are you gonna have my bike done?"

Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 AM
cap_njack
Novice

Thanks everyone for all the info, I am taking it in today for the 1k service and to install the exhaust system and air cleaner and will discuss with them in detail about the super tuner and dyno, the service guy told me that it was a new thing from Harley about voiding the esp, you know i am fine with them just downloading a patch for the ecm to compensate for the modifications. This dealership is one that i trust, they have always done me right and feel like they aren't trying to pull anything over on me, with them telling me this it actually is keeping them from selling the super tuner and doing the tune on the bike, about a $1000. bucks that they could have had. Anyway, if **** don't go the way i think it should then I might go with the power vision, i checked out their web site and saw they actually have a map for the mods that i plan on doing. Thanks again and i will report what happens this afternoon at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Upgrade