Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pak disconnect

Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
D-BOY
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour pak disconnect

Has/Does anyone used/have a Quick Dis-connect Kit for their Tour-Pak ( Trunk ) on their Touring Bike ? My Neighbor is considering this he has an 2011 Ultra Limited , wants to convert over to a Street Glide ( sort of ) when Wife not with him, what kit was used ? how difficult ? etc...and some pics

Old 10-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Padre
Club Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 526 Posts

There are a lot of posts on this already. For pics look at this thread. I just put one on my 2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. It took about 2 hours, but I got the whole kit. I used this kit. You can get away with just getting the tour pak mount and the quick disconnects. That kit has everything you need plus the lights for the saddlebags, wiring harness, etc.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:21 PM
CapeGlide
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll post some pics of mine when I get a chance, it was part of the deal when I bought the bike. 14 Limited, they had to put the directional (turn signal) lights on the saddle bags because their part of the tour pack.

I have no problem taking it on and off…its a bit heavy, I also swap out my seat when I take it off, disconnect the harness/cables and tuck them under the seat. It honestly takes me less than 10 minutes and I have a completely different looking bike.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:03 PM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

I did it on my 05 EGC. I had to build my own wiring harness for the running lights in the tour pak which wasn't a big deal. I LOVE the idea of being able to completely change the look (and ride) of my bike in under 5 minutes.
My only complaint is that the docking hardware flattens out over time and causes the tour pak to loosen up a bit and rattle. I don't believe there's any danger in it ever coming off, just loosens up enough to be annoying. So about once a year or so, I buy new "receiving" docks. Costs about $40 but it's worth it for my piece of mind.
I can go from the pic in my avatar to the attached pic in under 5 minutes... that's changing the seat too....

Attached Thumbnails Tour pak disconnect-img_1283.jpg  

Last edited by DinoM; 10-21-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM
billd
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DinoM
I did it on my 05 EGC. I had to build my own wiring harness for the running lights in the tour pak which wasn't a big deal. I LOVE the idea of being able to completely change the look (and ride) of my bike in under 5 minutes.
My only complaint is that the docking hardware flattens out over time and causes the tour pak to loosen up a bit and rattle. I don't believe there's any danger in it ever coming off, just loosens up enough to be annoying. So about once a year or so, I buy new "receiving" docks. Costs about $40 but it's worth it for my piece of mind.
I can go from the pic in my avatar to the attached pic in under 5 minutes... that's changing the seat too....

Loose dock; Try rotating the docking pegs. The pegs are slightly oblong for the purpose of fine adjustment. This was in the instructions of the docking kit for my 2014 RK, don't know if same is true for previous years kits.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:54 PM
D-BOY
Intermediate

Thanks , exactly what i wanted to see when i posted , talked with neighbor he lower Rear 1 1/2 inches , had shocks cut down & rebuilt , & completely satisfied

Old 10-22-2014, 07:03 PM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by billd
Loose dock; Try rotating the docking pegs. The pegs are slightly oblong for the purpose of fine adjustment. This was in the instructions of the docking kit for my 2014 RK, don't know if same is true for previous years kits.
Hmmm... I'll check that. Thanks billd. The receiving hardware on mine looks like it's round but I'll check it. What happens is that after a few months of contact, the hard rubber grommet starts to flatten out. At that point, I rotate them to the rounded part again until that area flattens out. I repeat this until all contact areas are flattened. Then it's time to replace them.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:10 PM
GNrider
Tourer

Check out Gilbos billet hawg solutions. He sells machined bushings that you install 1 time!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoM
What happens is that after a few months of contact, the hard rubber grommet starts to flatten out. At that point, I rotate them to the rounded part again until that area flattens out. I repeat this until all contact areas are flattened. Then it's time to replace them.
The rear rack I have was a real tight fit when I got it for my RK. I used a wooden clamp, the kind that you could spread out, and spread out the part of the rack that attaches to the docking points. Did it a few times and now goes on easy. Might be worth doing same on your TP rack.