Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doing my first cam swap this winter-advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do the Dyno tune not long after the install. I had a fat tune to get the heat down with the stock cams and when I went back my tuner wouldn't do a full load pre run because he got a red lean light (16:1) right away. Ended up with + 6 mpg. Was a little surprised over that. Torque curved moved a lot with no change to HP or torque. This is a pretty easy change. I went ahead and put new separator spring and separator plates in my oil pump while I had it apart. They are cheap.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
Do the Dyno tune not long after the install. I had a fat tune to get the heat down with the stock cams and when I went back my tuner wouldn't do a full load pre run because he got a red lean light (16:1) right away. Ended up with + 6 mpg. Was a little surprised over that. Torque curved moved a lot with no change to HP or torque. This is a pretty easy change. I went ahead and put new separator spring and separator plates in my oil pump while I had it apart. They are cheap.
So you richened the air fuel and gained gas mileage? Dyno numbers?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:10 PM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do this, I just did mine and everything went fine. Watch the videos on youtube or somewhere else on pushrod adjustment. If you have questions list em here or call the pushrod manufacturer. Get a service manual take your time and do it. I looked hard at the 48 for my bike but went with the S&S 509s (mine is an 2006 88ci) and LOVE the cams. I also put the propipe on mine. It sounds really good but is LOUD. Use a straw in the spark plug hole to find TDC and let you lifters bleed down before adjusting and you will be fine.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 PM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot something, I also put on a Power Commander V from Fuelmoto, they did a really nice job on the map and are a sponsor on the forums.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:33 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Just remember, righty tighty and lefty loosey and you will be fine.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:40 PM
kingz489
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont buy a used bearing puller, check out the edges on the rented puller or buy new. Get fuel moto adjustable pushrods they are great and just follow the instructions, go big on the cam

Old 10-24-2014, 08:05 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the cam bearing puller/installer, magnetic lifter holder, and alignment pins I'll let you use, just pay shipping both ways. You will still need to get the cam gear locking tool.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:57 PM
navybuff
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my 04 Heritage, I went with an S&S 510G. Screaming results, stock 103's couldn't touch it...

Just take your time and I agree with watching videos online, wealth of info....

Go for it...

Old 10-25-2014, 07:32 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I have the cam bearing puller/installer, magnetic lifter holder, and alignment pins I'll let you use, just pay shipping both ways. You will still need to get the cam gear locking tool.
Plain John, I will be sending a PM regarding your tools, too kind of you. I am going to be doing a cam and lifter winter project... thanks for the offer!!!!

Old 10-26-2014, 03:27 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
Thanks John! I think I have the tools lined up with a fellow forum member that lives a half hour from me. If that falls through I will definitely be in touch!

Quick Reply: doing my first cam swap this winter-advice?