Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Belt Tension

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on Belt Tension

when checking the tension, do you check it on a lift, or on the ground?

I swear the manual said on a lift, and now I am concerned that I may have over tightened the belt. I last adjusted it on a lift, and noticed that when I put the bike back on the ground, the belt was tighter than when up on the jack...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much tighter? Does it have any flex or can you push it up any at all with it on the ground? If not it's too tight!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Gordon65
Tourer

Originally Posted by WILDWOOD_1124
How much tighter? Does it have any flex or can you push it up any at all with it on the ground? If not it's too tight!
not sure....I just know that I adjusted it to 3/8 when off the ground, and noticed that when I put it back on the ground it was tighter...maybe down to 1/4.

I've developed an inner primary leak, and just learned that too tight of a belt can cause a leak.

since the manual said to adjust the tension with the rear wheel off the ground, at the time I wasn't concerned about the tightness of the belt when back on the ground.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:10 AM
roadkil1995
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My service manual says that the bike should be sitting on the ground with someone sitting on the bike holding it in an up right position.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Gordon65
Tourer

Originally Posted by roadkil1995
My service manual says that the bike should be sitting on the ground with someone sitting on the bike holding it in an up right position.

I gotta double check when I get home, but in the rear wheel removal section, it has you checking the belt deflection with the wheel off the ground...(if I recall correctly...I could be all wrong, and messed up)

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

My manual also says lift the rear wheel, but just so you can spin it and find the tightest position on the belt. Then put it back on the ground and have an assistant sit on it while adjusting the belt. That's about as far as you can get from adjusting it on the lift; I'd check that deflection on the ground right away. I wouldn't be concerned about the belt as much as putting too much load on that outer bearing for the transmission shaft.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon65
when checking the tension, do you check it on a lift, or on the ground?

I swear the manual said on a lift, and now I am concerned that I may have over tightened the belt. I last adjusted it on a lift, and noticed that when I put the bike back on the ground, the belt was tighter than when up on the jack...
on the ground, upright or on the jiffy stand.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

You definitely want to check the deflection while on the ground, not on the lift. But obviously for the adjustment it needs to be in the air.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

does anyone have the part number of the HD belt tension tool? thanks

Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Do it to what the Harley Service manual says for your year and bike. Bikes and year models are different. My Softail says to do it loaded with rider. Depends on design. Use the proper gage and forgot rolling and all the other suggestions. You really would need to get it way tight to hurt a seal or bearing. Since your swing arm is bolted to your engine, it all hangs together and is probably why the manual says what it says and there is little difference when it moves with the suspension. On yours hanging, sitting or you on will probably show little difference. You check it out and report back. A Softail swingarm is a tad off center and moves independent from the engine, so that is why it is different. I lay over mine and set it. I forget right now but when I am off it, it changes about the tolerance in the setting. However you need the manual if you are going to set it. I got my gauge off Amazon. I checked it on a scale and it's close. Made by Motion Pro 08-0350. About $20 and free shipping now.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-22-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Question on Belt Tension