Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Google Maps & Garmin Basecamp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Google Maps & Garmin Basecamp?

With Classic Google Maps I was able to plan a route and then export the KML file. I could import the KML file into Basecamp and load it into my Garmin GPS. With the "New Google Maps" I don't seem to have the same ability. Does anyone know of a workaround to import the maps created in the "New Google Maps" to Basecamp?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this same question when I got my Road Tech. Google and Base Camp don't play well and Garmin hasn't come out with a upgrade for it. This was a couple of years ago.

There is some third party apps that I came across that says you can do this. If you google Garmin base maps import google maps they will come up.

I don't do may trips, when I do I prefer to use HD Road Planner then that imports into the base camp maps that will then transfer to your Garmin without a problem.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

It looks to me like Goodle still exports a KML file.
https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3109452?hl=en

Is it a google export problem, or a Garmin import problem?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 AM
rwt
Tourer

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
It looks to me like Goodle still exports a KML file.
https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3109452?hl=en

Is it a google export problem, or a Garmin import problem?
The "New Improved Google Maps" doesn't work like the link described. That info was for "Google Maps Classic". The new maps doesn't let you save your map to a "My Maps" area or export KML. All I've been able to find is a share and embed option in the New Google Maps. To my knowledge there is no longer an "Export KML" option which is necessary to provide the correct info for import into BaseCamp. BaseCamp is the means by which you upload the route to your Garmin device.

Speaking of the "Share & Embed" option, it is a good way to share a map with a smartphone. Just copy a short URL of your route to an email and send it to yourself. Open the email on your phone and click the link and the route appears on your smartphone. The problem with this is that you can only navigate using this route if you're physically at the starting point of the route. Second, as soon as you leave the route for any reason (gas, detour, etc.) the smartphone maps software recalculates your route, abandoning your original route (unless it was the most efficient means to the destination). I've not been able to find a way to reopen the original planned route and rejoin that route once I'm no longer at the original starting point.

Since Google Maps won't support planned routes with their smartphone software, and Google Maps for the PC won't export KML any longer, it seems that BaseCamp is the only free option for creating and riding planned routes of my choosing. For now, I'll have to just plan all of my routes in BaseCamp.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 AM
rwt
Tourer

I just got done recreating a route of a recent ride I've taken using HD ride planner. It appears to be easier and faster than working with BaseCamp. If it downloads into my GPS as easily as as BaseCamp does, it looks like I'll be switching to HD Ride Planner for future planning.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

I just tried this, and I was able to expert a KML file.

1. Google.com/maps

2. Click on "my maps"

3. Click on "create"

4. Click on the folder icon

5. Click on "export to KML"

You're more experienced than I am on Google maps. Seems you can control what type of file you export by what you do and what you select.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:30 AM
rwt
Tourer

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
I just tried this, and I was able to expert a KML file.

1. Google.com/maps

2. Click on "my maps"

3. Click on "create"

4. Click on the folder icon

5. Click on "export to KML"

You're more experienced than I am on Google maps. Seems you can control what type of file you export by what you do and what you select.
You're running Google Maps Classic

Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by rwt
I was in the new version when I did it.

Just did it again, making sure. New "and improved" version.

In the upper left corner of the screen, where you'd normally type in an address or such to search for, just float your cursor over it, and let it expand.

On the right side of the drop down is the "create" icon, which on my computers looks like a blue pencil. Click it.

A new tab opens up. It shows the whole North American continent, and there is a control box in the top left of the screen. For me, it's titled "untitled map". But that's because I didn't select one yet.

In the top left of that box is a folder icon. Click it to open it, and you'll get a drop down. Second from the bottom is "export to KML"

Last edited by foxtrapper; 10-23-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:16 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rwt

I just tried it with the new maps. Foxtrapper's right it does work exactly like he said.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 PM
rwt
Tourer

Wow, thanks for your patience. I played with it a bit more and found that it does in fact have the export to KML function like you all said. I can't believe how many steps there are to use google maps for routing. Saving a new map to "My Maps" isn't nearly as intuitive as it used to be. Plus you have to reload google maps to see the "My Maps" link, which you must be in to see the create option and the folder that gives you the export to KML option.

I'm finding the HD Route Planner to be the easiest option so far. Create your map, give it a name and save it, then sync directly to your GPS, Done!

Thanks again to all who participated in this thread. It helped me immensely and I hope it helped others as well.

Quick Reply: New Google Maps & Garmin Basecamp?