Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles on a full tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:28 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default How many miles on a full tank

I'm sure this has been covered many of times but I couldn't find any exact threads.

I Know that the fuel gauge isn't completely accurate but I've started measuring the mileage between fill ups. Today, I filled up and got approximately 165 miles since my last fill up. This was mainly hi way riding while using cruise control at about 70 MPH. I don't have anything special on the bike, just the an air cleaner and Rinehart mufflers.

I'm not sure if 165 miles is in the normal range. A buddy told me that he gets about 145 miles between fillups but he has an older touring bike.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2012 Ultra Limited. All I do is Highway riding (example: Washington State to Tennessee every year) and about at those speeds with cruise on. I routinely go 220 miles on a tank. Keep in mind that's a 6 gallon tank.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:42 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dforeid
I have a 2012 Ultra Limited. All I do is Highway riding (example: Washington State to Tennessee every year) and about at those speeds with cruise on. I routinely go 220 miles on a tank. Keep in mind that's a 6 gallon tank.
This is what Im talking about. The gas light didn't come on but the needle on the gauge was so close to empty. There's a difference with the needle when riding vs. when idle. Since it was nearly on top of E, I pulled into a station. Guess I could have gotten more, huh.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:48 PM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can get over 200 on a tank, and put about 5 gallons in at a fill up. Last tank was at around 220 miles, and filled just under 5 gallons. That was cruising, not in town riding.
In town, I fill up at around 180 or so.

When my fuel light comes on, I usually have a tad over a gallon left in the tank.

I have did the math on every tank I have put in it for over 9K miles, and this has basically held true throughout.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I would certainly think so. My gauge doesn't tell the real story either. The miles remaining indicator is pretty accurate when your fuel gets low though - at least it is on mine. When I fuel after 220 miles or so I usually put in just about 5 gallons. So there's even more room there.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM
geektoad
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My average is about 200 miles per tank and the most i've put on in one tank is 248. i put put 230+ on between fill ups on a regular basis. follow the link below for details.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Set your trip odometer to zero when you fill up, or note the mileage if you don't have a trip odometer. Next fill, divide your miles driven by how many gallons you put in. That will give you your miles per gallon. Take that times your tank size in gallons, and that's how far you can go before you are pushing your bike.

Why is that so hard for people to figure out? Your miles per tank is meaningless. Some have five gallon tanks, some have six. Some Sportsters have much less, but get much better mileage. Did you have a tail wind or a head wind? That can easily make a difference of ten miles per gallon, or 50 or 60 miles per tank? Anything over 60 mph and wind resistance enters into the equation. Are you running your engine in the torque band, or are you lugging it? Are you riding in the mountain hills of Colorado, or at flat zero elevation on the coast?

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-22-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:24 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Set your trip odometer to zero when you fill up, or note the mileage if you don't have a trip odometer. Next fill, divide your miles driven by how many gallons you put in. That will give you your miles per gallon. Take that times your tank size in gallons, and that's how far you can go before you are pushing your bike.

Why is that so hard for people to figure out? Your miles per tank is meaningless. Some have five gallon tanks, some have six. Some Sportsters have much less, but get much better mileage. Did you have a tail wind or a head wind? That can easily make a difference of ten miles per gallon, or 50 or 60 miles per tank? Anything over 60 mph and wind resistance enters into the equation. Are you running your engine in the torque band, or are you lugging it? Are you riding in the mountain hills of Colorado, or at flat zero elevation on the coast?
Especially hard to figure out because the OP doesn't even say how much he pumped! Fillup-well,what's a fillup??

Old 10-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Badlionsfan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Especially hard to figure out because the OP doesn't even say how much he pumped! Fillup-well,what's a fillup??
$11.56 worth....

Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Mikes01deuce
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001 Deuce, I get 190 per tank.

Quick Reply: How many miles on a full tank