Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grip Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 AM
andyshd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grip Experience

I'm shopping for new grips for my '05 RK Classic.
There is a huge price range and I was hoping you could share your experience with what you used. Prices start with imports for under $20 and the sky is the limit from there, but lots of domestic ones are $130.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

You're going to get as many varied responses here as handlebar, exhaust and oil threads, but maybe you'll get some ideas and then you should try holding them in your hands. I have big hands so the Harley Get-a Grip magnum size ones work for me - they have a non-slip surface that lets you relax your throttle hand, plus a little chrome on the ends for looks. I wish they came in heated style, but Heat Demons will solve that.

Last edited by Joe12RK; 10-23-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Don't know who's they are, but my 04 came with leather grips. Had no idea I'd love leather grips the way I do. After a few seconds, the moisture in my fingers has my hand lightly sticking to the grips, pleasantly, so I'm not death gripping them the way I frequently do. By far, these are the most comfortable grips I've ever had on any motorcycle.

I think I saw either HD or Avon grips that looked identical to mine once at a swap meet.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried the Chinese. You'd be happier with good quality grips. I just bought the Arlen Ness Soft Cut grips and like them a lot.

They come in black or chrome.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 AM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the HD Nostalgia grips. I have them on my Springer, and they really fill my hands comfortably. I would have put them on my SG, but they didn't really fit with the style, so for the SG I used the Avon grips with the gel center. They are also contoured and are very comfortable.

I've tried the Kury Iso grips...and I hate them.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM
bigbluewolf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06SGWA
I've tried the Chinese. You'd be happier with good quality grips. I just bought the Arlen Ness Soft Cut grips and like them a lot.

They come in black or chrome.
I bout the Arlen Ness also...Chrome...I love mine!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

While I'm not normally a fan of Kuryakyn products...

I LOVE their ISO grips. I've had them on every Harley but my '14, and that's only because of the heated grips.

Look around at guys that do some serious touring, HD, Honda, Yamaha... the vast majority use these.

The throttle boss is very comfy also...

Old 10-23-2014, 10:42 AM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You will get many opinions, as mentioned.

I've been running the Get a Grip magnum and I'd say it's been one of the best, for me. Not priced too high either.

Avon sells and repackages a lot of rebranded grips sold in the market. Their quality is good.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
While I'm not normally a fan of Kuryakyn products...

I LOVE their ISO grips. I've had them on every Harley but my '14, and that's only because of the heated grips.

Look around at guys that do some serious touring, HD, Honda, Yamaha... the vast majority use these.

The throttle boss is very comfy also...

+1 I have these on both my Electra Glides. They are comfy and last 10 times longer than any grips I've gotten from the MoCo

Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

+2 on the ISO grips on new bike I did exhaust, tunes, seat, and for the money was sooo happy about the grips and I put 5,000 miles on the stockers and thought they where fine but when changed bars I just figured that would be a great time and very happy I did.

Quick Reply: Grip Experience