Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike was idling high the whole ride home, just shot fire out exhaust when restarted

Old 10-23-2014, 08:23 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default bike was idling high the whole ride home, just shot fire out exhaust when restarted

so had the dealer do the 25k tune up 2 days ago, and today noticed the bike was idling around 1200 at every stop on the way home. got home, and turned the bike off, then realized i had to move it around, so i went to turn it back on, and it shot fire out the right exhaust pipe and refused to start.

what the hell could have happened at that 25k tuneup to cause that?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:35 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbeast
so had the dealer do the 25k tune up 2 days ago, and today noticed the bike was idling around 1200 at every stop on the way home. got home, and turned the bike off, then realized i had to move it around, so i went to turn it back on, and it shot fire out the right exhaust pipe and refused to start.

what the hell could have happened at that 25k tuneup to cause that?
That would annoy the hell out of me...it is apparently what didn't happen at your tune up.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:38 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

im debating wether i want to try starting it in the morning, or just make the dealer come get it

Old 10-24-2014, 05:55 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

It's not a "tune up", it is a service, a preventative maintenance, if you will.

There is nothing in the 25k to make it do what you describe.

The mid 2000 bikes had a habit of idling high if they were not allowed to fully idle down before shutting down. I had an '07 that did that. I got in the habit of removing my right hand from the grip for a couple of seconds before hitting the kill switch, and it corrected itself.

Someone smarter than me might be able to explain why.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

With the TBW bikes, if not allowed to return to idle when shutting down, the ecu would reset the idle. To correct, with run stop switch set to run, turn ignition on-off 4 times
Starting in off position
Turn to ignition, count 1-2-3
Turn to off, count 1-2-3
Repeat 3 more times
Because bike was shut down in high idle I've seen bikes backfire on subsequent startup (immediately after shut down due to being loaded up with fuel)
Dealers have a habit of returning from test ride and coasting into service area and hitting kill switch while still rolling causing this.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
With the TBW bikes,
His is an '06, cable throttle.

Mine was an '07, cable throttle...

Not saying you're wrong, because that's basically how I fixed mine, and not sure why it did it, but it was common back then.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
With the TBW bikes, if not allowed to return to idle when shutting down, the ecu would reset the idle. To correct, with run stop switch set to run, turn ignition on-off 4 times Starting in off position Turn to ignition, count 1-2-3 Turn to off, count 1-2-3 Repeat 3 more times Because bike was shut down in high idle I've seen bikes backfire on subsequent startup (immediately after shut down due to being loaded up with fuel) Dealers have a habit of returning from test ride and coasting into service area and hitting kill switch while still rolling causing this.
This is not a TBW bike.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 10-24-2014, 07:15 AM
ninetyzero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is indeed cable and not TBW, the first thing I would check, with the bike running, roll the throttle away from you. As if to force to idle position. If the idle comes down, your cables just needs to be adjusted. I have seen it before. Both cable and TBW.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:37 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remain calm! LOL. depending on how the engine stopped some unburned fuel vapors collected at a low point and when the bike started it "back fired" Normal stuff and can be fun and entertain small children at goat milking's and county fairs.
you could or have some one else idle it down to the desired idle RPM.
I dont think we need to go rape and pillage at the dealership just yet.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
His is an '06, cable throttle. Mine was an '07, cable throttle... Not saying you're wrong, because that's basically how I fixed mine, and not sure why it did it, but it was common back then.
Using iphone can't see signature so didn't know what year. I've never experienced it until TBW came out - first I heard of it happening with a cable throttle. It's a well documented procedure to reset the idle...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bike was idling high the whole ride home, just shot fire out exhaust when restarted