Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another seat dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:05 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

If you do go with a Road King or Street Glide seat, just be aware that they're shorter in the nose and you'll have to get a filler piece to go between the tank and the nose of the seat.

My wife and I love the Mustang on our Ultra. Firmer than the squishy, burning stock seat but not quite as hard as a Corbin. Every butt is different though. Good luck

Old 10-24-2014, 01:25 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by green hd
Interesting. Never wold have thought a harder seat can be more comfy than a soft one. A friend went to Corbin and had a seat made for his Victory. I sat in it and thought I was seating directly on the seat pan.
Every **** is different. I belong to the tushy cushy side of long distance riding, while those who love their Corbins represent the other side of the universe. Somewhere in between lies your ***.

I tried the Mean City, they had recommended the double foam. I could not tell it from the stock. Therefore, rather than have everyone tell you what worked for them, you need to visit and sit on as many bikes as you can. One place to start is the used harley's at your dealer.

My conversion started in Yellowstone when my *** was so sore from 723 miles that I stopped next to a guy with an airhawk. After talking with him I ordered one. Worked for me. So I went looking for a seat that gave me that feel. Found it and now ride all day without thinking about my ****.

Throwing money at a rebuild, or at a new name brand seat because someone else thinks it is great is like facing Dirty Harry and saying, "yah, I feel lucky!"

Take the time to try out lots of seats before throwing your money around, unless you got money to blow then buy one of each and find out the hard way.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:06 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Just finished a 1,200 mile tour on the stock HD ultra seat. Yep, both my wife and my **** hurt after about 2 hours . But I'm not convinced I know enough about what causes the discomfort to throw big $ at it. I also don't think that merely sitting on sample seats would I be able to select a better one with out putting in some riding hours.

Our solution during the trip was to stop for a leg stretch at no longer than 2 hour intervals. That was also a good point to fill up the tank. Even then my **** still hurt after a while.

Maybe we need to get some $$ together and hire an orthopedic surgeon to design a better seat.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:08 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Yea, ya don't know till ya spend some good time on the seat, tried a few, think i'm keeping the Mustang, so far so good, i need a 400 mile ride to decide, some feel great for 70-100 miles, then your done, Mustang has a 10 day trial period, if you're interested also

Old 10-24-2014, 02:37 PM
immusicman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for so many good suggestions. I had a corbin seat on my last one and it was way too hard. It might work ok for some, but for me, same problem I have now. I am fairly short so I think I am l kind of leaning a bit forward in my riding position to get the handlebars and comfort for my arms. However, with the screamin ealge seat, my butt is back against the curve, which is nice. The problem isn't so much my butt hurting as it is in between my butt and my package if you know what I mean. The pain isn't soreness, it causes a very sharp discomfort. I had a Royal Star yamaha in between and the seat was thick and comfortable, never had a problem. One thing I do know, my harley dealer offers loaner seats to try them out, they have the sundowner in stock. I may give this a shot and see how it rides. I wouldn't mind giving Danny Gray a shot, but I like my stock backrest setup and do not want to have to change to their backrest and who knows, I may not like it anyway and be out a fortune. Thanks again for all the replies.
John

Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I went with a mustange wide tripper on my '12 flhx. I liked the low profile look and the removable passanger pillion becuase I ride solo 90% of the time. I have about 3k miles on it so far and the longest run being about 200 miles. I like it so far. Not too soft like the stock seat, but not too hard either.

RE

Old 10-24-2014, 03:07 PM
DLSSOJC
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned many different makes and styles of seats over the years including Corbin, Mustang, Ultimate, C&C, Harley brand upgraded seats, and others. Corbin was too hard for me and not comfortable for me. Ultimate makes a nice comfortable seat and also Mustang. On my CVO FLHTCSE2 I settled for a great balance between comfort and looks and went with another Mustang seat with drivers backrest and it suits me perfect. I also have the matching passenger seat for when riding two up. It has been custom covered for a different look but the standard covered ones look good also. Looks like you have the same bike I have so here is what it would look like on yours:

Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by tpcowfish
Yea, ya don't know till ya spend some good time on the seat, tried a few, think i'm keeping the Mustang, so far so good, i need a 400 mile ride to decide, some feel great for 70-100 miles, then your done, Mustang has a 10 day trial period, if you're interested also
Good tip...maybe I'll have to give the Mustang a trial run.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:20 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

A backrest is a good idea, either in a solo or a 2 up seat.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a C&C seat that is awesome. I can ride for several hours now and on the stock I maxed out at about two.

Have you ever driven a BMW or Mercedes? Their seats are hard by American standards, but you can drive those cars for days and not have a sore butt or back. On the other hand, if you drive in a cushy Buick seat for a few hours, you need to stop and stretch and the destination never seems to come soon enough.

Quick Reply: Another seat dilemma