Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I have fireworks in my exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:58 PM
salty_rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! I have fireworks in my exhaust!

So I will try to make this as quick and painless as possible. I have a 2009 Street glide. I just took the bike in to my local performance shop / dyno guy (Won awards and everyone in Houston says he's the best). I put a 103Ci motor in the 96ci Motors place (high milage on the old 96), Screamin eagle air cleaner, D&D boss fat cat pipes, and the blue mastertune TTS (plus dyno). After everything was said and done I picked up the bike and he said everything is running perfect. I rode it around for a couple of days and found pretty severe decel pop and occasional popping between gears when shifting. Along with between around 2000 2800 rpms at steady throttle it will sputter. Basically the bike runs like crap. Great performance on wide open runs And 6th crusing but that's about it. Took it back to him and he said I would have to leave it with him again. The first time I left it with him I had to leave it for 3 weeks and I wasn't about to do that again. So I had him adjust it in person while I was there with his laptop and he told me to let him know if that's better or worse plus checked for exhaust or intake leaks and there weren't any. Rode around for 2 more days.. exactly the same. I've been playing phone tag with him for 3 weeks now and he tries to avoid my calls along with acting like he's extremely busy when he's not and could easily fix the mistake he made with 20 or 30 minutes of his time. I'm extremely frustrated because now no one else can fit me in before Lone Star rally and in addition I don't have another $300 to spend on a dyno because I just spent $5k on everything. I have the TTS tuner in hand along with the software disc. There was no cable to hook up to laptop and bike. I asked him if it came with the TTS and he said no contact them It comes separate. Not sure if that's true or not but I don't even have the cable to hook up to my*computer. Please don't say take it back to the guy and start complaining to him because I'm past that point and done with him. NOW hear is the giant question... I have no idea how this TTS works But I know a lot of you do your own adjustments from your laptop. Is there anybody in the Houston area that would be willing to be an awesome person and help someone out in a little bit of a bind! If you have this cable and the tuning knowledge could you help me adjust the settings on my bike so that it stops the decel and shifting popping Plus adjust for sputtering between 2000 and 2800 rpm at steady speed I would be greatly appreciative! I'm sure it's relatively simple if you know what you're doing but its rocket science to me. I can throw 50 bucks your way to cover any gas plus if you're single there's some money for a night out of drinking or if you have a family theres some money to take everybody to dinner. If anyone out there has extensive knowledge and wants to help me out I'm in the Clear Lake area 20 miles south of downtown Houston. I'm completely free until 7 p.m. on Friday evening (today) and also free Sunday after 4pm and all day Tuesday. Thanks!!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:14 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Im not in your area but it sounds like its running lean across the rpm band. Hope somebody can hook a brother up.

Batman.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Paddy-G
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Salty,
I put open pipes and a heavy breather intake on my 103 softail this year. Instead of using the in-line tuner, I opted to have Harley dyno the bike and tune the EFI to the new equipment. I get some popping on decel but it's no worse than my buddy's barhopper so I don't pay it any mind. When you have the cash, you might want to take it to an HD shop and have them dyno-tune the EFI directly.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy-G
Hey Salty,
I put open pipes and a heavy breather intake on my 103 softail this year. Instead of using the in-line tuner, I opted to have Harley dyno the bike and tune the EFI to the new equipment. I get some popping on decel but it's no worse than my buddy's barhopper so I don't pay it any mind. When you have the cash, you might want to take it to an HD shop and have them dyno-tune the EFI directly.
The TTS is a flash tuner, and thus "tunes" the EFI directly.

If they didn't sell you a tuner, they sold you BS.

With no tuner, they downloaded a stock stage 1 map.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Call Doc's Performance in Minneola Fl. He may be able to help with a dyno guy in your area. A dyno tune over the internet is kinda like getting a haircut over the phone. The TTS is a great tuner but a good dyno man makes all the difference in the world.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:02 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
The TTS is a flash tuner, and thus "tunes" the EFI directly. If they didn't sell you a tuner, they sold you BS. With no tuner, they downloaded a stock stage 1 map.
SafetyMan some of the responses I see on here sometimes blows my mind. Glad you cleared that up for Paddy-G as he clearly has no clue.

Rule of thumb: if you don't have a clue of how to help, why lay your ramblings out here for everyone to actually see that you don't have a clue.
RANT OVER.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 10-24-2014, 06:48 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy-G
Hey Salty,
The TTS Mastertune isn't an "in line tuner". It flashes the ECM with the tune. Do some research. PowerCommander, Fuel Pack and a few others are of the "in line" variety and they modify some of the inputs before they get to the ECM.

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
The TTS is a flash tuner, and thus "tunes" the EFI directly.

If they didn't sell you a tuner, they sold you BS.

With no tuner, they downloaded a stock stage 1 map.
OP says he has the TTS (it's a blue one) in hand along with the software but has no cable.

Originally Posted by SBates08
SafetyMan some of the responses I see on here sometimes blows my mind. Glad you cleared that up for Paddy-G as he clearly has no clue.

Rule of thumb: if you don't have a clue of how to help, why lay your ramblings out here for everyone to actually see that you don't have a clue.
RANT OVER.

2010 Limited with some stuff
If you're going to do this to every post with questionable content, your post count is going to sky rocket.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give Ed at The Dyno Difference in Dallas a call. He did my bike and I'm very happy with it. Sucks to have to throw more money at it, but sucks worse to spend all that coin and have a crappy running bike. Good luck.

Oh, btw. Why not name the bike shop so others don't waste their money?

Ride Safe

Old 10-25-2014, 06:55 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by smithbrl
OP says he has the TTS (it's a blue one) in hand along with the software but has no cable.
I know that, my response was to clarify, and not directed at the OP.

You took my post out of context, as I quoted someone else.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Call Steve Cole at "The Turbo Shop" (TTS).

Order the missing cable and have Steve send you a proper map that is exact to your set up.

As for the cables, they do cost extra and DO NOT come with the Turner. If I remember correctly around $29.00.

If not, do as some else posted, call Doc at Doc Performance. He's truly one if not the best Turner.

Good Luck.

YB

Quick Reply: Help! I have fireworks in my exhaust!