Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing question

Old 10-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wheel bearing question

I'm looking at a 2014 FLHX front rim and rotors for my 2012. It's from an ABS bike so I know the bearings need swapping as mine isn't ABS. Does anyone know the actual bearing # and do i need the complete bearing kit from Harley (with spacers etc) or just pick up the bearings? Are there better bearings than others?
Thanks!

Old 10-25-2014, 07:49 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

HD wheel bearing part number 9276A (non Abs). I don't know if they are better but you can get a set of All ***** Bearings a little cheaper. I don't think you will have to have new spacers only the bearing swap.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....-WHEEL---FRONT

Old 10-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Dguy
Road Captain

Thanks! If I'm looking correctly, I really just need to replace the bearing on the ABS side of the wheel with a 9276A and should be good to go......

Old 10-25-2014, 12:38 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguy
Thanks! If I'm looking correctly, I really just need to replace the bearing on the ABS side of the wheel with a 9276A and should be good to go......
That's correct, the Harley bearing is a 6205 2rs SKF, Nachi, Fafnir etc.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:47 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not just put a spacer equal to the thickness of the ABS sensor and leave the bearing alone?

Old 10-25-2014, 02:58 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

All you need are the bearings listed above. Don't be cheap. Buy both bearings as a pair. I wouldn't replace just one, but that's just me.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:16 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The non-ABS bearing is a widely available stock bearing, available from any bearing outlet, no need to buy a 'Harley' one. The existing normal bearing in your wheel has the universal ID engraved on it, so as you are going to replace it, as per DD's advice, just take it out and to a local shop - an auto parts store may be able to supply them.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Dguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DresserDude
All you need are the bearings listed above. Don't be cheap. Buy both bearings as a pair. I wouldn't replace just one, but that's just me.
The tire /wheel combo I'm buying is a take off with 4 miles on them. Bearings shouldn't be worn just yet.....that being said, I'll probably pick up a pair.

Last edited by Dguy; 10-25-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
Why not just put a spacer equal to the thickness of the ABS sensor and leave the bearing alone?
Actually, the ABS bearing is thicker, by about 5mm if I remember correctly. So it's not a matter of taking up space. Using an ABS spacer won't work either because you don't have a speed sensor.

The axle sleeve (inside the wheel) is the same for ABS/Non ABS. I'd PM Low Country Joe for more specifics but I'm thinking you can just pull the left side bearing (for front wheel, right for rear wheel) and install the non ABS bearing. The left side bearing always goes in first (for the front wheel) and gets seated all the way in the cup. Then the right side bearing is installed and seated just enough to take the play out of the axle sleeve but not binding the bearings.

On the rear it's the right side bearing that goes first.

I'm sure I've missed something but like I said, I've only done 3 or 4 ABS/Non ABS bearing swaps. Joe is a good wrench and is rarely mistaken as I sometimes am.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:49 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Actually, the ABS bearing is thicker, by about 5mm if I remember correctly. So it's not a matter of taking up space. Using an ABS spacer won't work either because you don't have a speed sensor.

Other than the bearing being thicker, I'm not sure I follow what your saying.

"it's not a matter of taking up space" what else is a spacer about?

If the OP is putting a ABS wheel in a non ABS bike, and the ABS bearing is 5mm wider ( you number) then take 5mm off the spacer that was on the non ABS wheel. should bolt right in and the speed sensor doesn't mater.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel bearing question