Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD bottom end quality progress?

Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Default HD bottom end quality progress?

Does anyone know if Harley has made changes to the crankshaft since 2007? I had a 07 and was told that the 07 and 08 crankshaft issues were addressed in 09. Not say fixed totally correct but improved. I also wonder if improvements have been made in 10, 11, 12, 13 or to the 14 and 15's. I don't hear about the issue like I did back in 07. Any information is appreciated.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
Does anyone know if Harley has made changes to the crankshaft since 2007? I had a 07 and was told that the 07 and 08 crankshaft issues were addressed in 09. Not say fixed totally correct but improved. I also wonder if improvements have been made in 10, 11, 12, 13 or to the 14 and 15's. I don't hear about the issue like I did back in 07. Any information is appreciated.
If improvement means change the way it is measured so they can keep putting out the same old crap, and make it acceptable then yes.
They did tighten things up in 10 I believe, but it didn't amount to much.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

In 10 they tightened up the press fit tolerances. They also sent out info to dealers on how to correctly measure run out. I don't know all the details but apparently many were measuring cranks like they did on the older style cranks where the shafts were machined all the way to the ends of the shaft. Not so anymore.

Last edited by Rickr01; 10-27-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

I haven't seen so many waiting on the roadside recently.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

It seams like we are having fewer crankshaft related issues with the newer bikes, especially when compared to the 07 and 08 period. Back then, the CVO's with the 110's seemed to have the most issues. Heaven forbid, if I ever do suffer a crank related issue ( I do not think I will ) in my 14 Limited, I will have a top quality bottom end installed.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
In 10 they tightened up the press fit tolerances. They also sent out info to dealers on how to correctly measure run out. I don't know all the details but apparently many were measuring cranks like they did on the older style cranks where the shafts were machined all the way to the ends of the shaft. Not so anymore.

Yeah, sure.....That was the bullshit story that they fed everyone.

Measure the runout on a pre-2003 motor and then measure the runout on anything built after that.
The results will amaze you....Not in a good way.

They have cheaped down and weakened the lower end on these motors so much in recent years that I'm surprised that anyone that has real knowledge about the inside of these motors will even buy one...I certainly wouldn't unless I planned on tearing it down and replacing the entire lower end before I ran it.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:21 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

During a teardown for the SE Stage III Kit ('09 SERG) the front rod bearings were stiff (9,500mi) it was fixin' to cut loose..

The '05 SEEG (56k rode hard) never an issue...

The '01 Switchblade (4-3/8 SE Crank) 38k never an issue with the stock or SE Crank.

Last edited by FlaHeatWave; 10-26-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

I may have answered my own question. Check out this article from Thunderpress

http://www.thunderpress.net/editoria...2013/08/21.htm

The article claims that our modern three piece crankshafts are actually very good; at least for normal riding vs the drag strip. I have heard it before that lugging our V-Twins is one of the worst things you can do to your motor. Interesting read

Thanks for all the input,

Old 11-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
I may have answered my own question. Check out this article from Thunderpress

http://www.thunderpress.net/editoria...2013/08/21.htm

The article claims that our modern three piece crankshafts are actually very good; at least for normal riding vs the drag strip. I have heard it before that lugging our V-Twins is one of the worst things you can do to your motor. Interesting read

Thanks for all the input,

Precisely why I'm adding a Hayden primary chain tensioner this winter. The Screaming Eagle is known to be very noisy so Ive ruled that one out. Baker makes a very nice manual adjuster too, but requires the removal of the comp to install. Some say the Hayden is too tight just like the the stock auto tensioner but being spring loaded there is no way that it wont give as needed under all that torsional crank load.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Yeah, sure.....That was the bullshit story that they fed everyone.

Measure the runout on a pre-2003 motor and then measure the runout on anything built after that.
The results will amaze you....Not in a good way.

They have cheaped down and weakened the lower end on these motors so much in recent years that I'm surprised that anyone that has real knowledge about the inside of these motors will even buy one...I certainly wouldn't unless I planned on tearing it down and replacing the entire lower end before I ran it.
Ya thats why you see so many of them sitting along the road with broken crank shafts, there are a lot of guys building these motors these days, and putting a lot more stress on them than they have in the stock form and for the most part they hold up rather well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD bottom end quality progress?