Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:54 PM
rlawless
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery

Don't post very often, but read this forum every day. Just bought a new battery for my 2008 flhx. Living in Phoenix I don't expect batteries to last very long. The original factory battery lasted three years, second Harley battery lasted two years. When parked in garage it's on a tender. As you all know Harley batteries are very expensive. This time I ordered from Battery Mart as suggested by many people on this forum. Battery was delivered in just a few days, it fits perfectly and was almost half the cost of a Harley battery. Will just have to wait and see how long it lasts, but at this point I'm very pleased. Thanks for the HD Forum, lots of great info here.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

That's what this place is for.. I would say let us know if how it works but there's no need to open up a multiple year old thread lol.. I'm trying to talk my neighbor into Goin the online route but he's kind of a Harley only kinds guy.. If for no other reason than the dealer is right down the street

Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 PM
ToppDogg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in the Pacific North West and never use a Tender, I get around 5 to 6 years on Batteries.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My Original Harley battery lasted two years, I replaced it with an interstate which I just replace after three years. The Interstate was still starting the motor ok. The thing is I keep the odometer on range to empty and every time I start the bike it would reset to the odometer.

This tells me the voltage is dropping below the minimum voltage for the electronics.
The odometer stays on range now when starting the bike.

This is my little tail-tell for the battery condition. I've only been left with a dead battery once and that was with the Harley battery.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:49 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by rlawless
...When parked in garage it's on a tender...
FWIW, my unscientific study seems to suggest more people have problems with their batteries if they use a Battery Tender...at least is seems that way because nearly every report of battery problems on this forum usually includes the use of the Battery Tender.

Battery Tender has the highest number of failures of all the various battery charging/maintaining systems out there. So, that may or may not be your problem.

And yes, I'm somewhat familiar with the high heat conditions of the southwest. I lived in the deep south for many years and we too had summer temps well into the upper 90's and low 100's, never had battery problems, and never used a Battery Tender.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I use a tender on my '07 Ultra.
7 years and still going strong.
Just had it checked at the dealership and it read 425 cca and 100%.
I'm happy.
I have a tender on my '02 Sportster. Original battery.....