Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side by side with dad

Old 10-30-2014, 04:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Just great and well done! Mind, I'm not sure he'll trust ya ever again! What are you both doing this coming weekend?!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:15 AM
Road-Rash
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice story.

I'm sad that neck and back issues have forced my 72 year old father out of riding recently. However, I'm happy that he practically gave me the bike I have now. He taught me most everything I know about riding a motorcycle and can still ride circles around me when he feels up to it. Years ago when we both rode regularly were some of the best times I had.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:24 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

Glad you did it for your dad. Some of the best times I have out riding is when my boys come along.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

Great job. Within a week of me trading in mt metric cruiser and picking up my ultra, pops went out and got a big touring bike.
He's retired....so I'm the one that has to make the "I'm busy" excuses. Which luckily...are very few and far between.
Great pic and story!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Awesome for you both to be able to get together like that. My dad doesnt ride anymore and my son keeps saying hes gonna go get his license but hasnt yet. I got the old bike still for either one of them to ride but hasnt taken me up on the offer yet. Wish they would tho.

Glad you got to do it and share with us.

Batman

Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 AM
theCoach
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TcHunter
My dad has been working a lot and does not get a chance to get on the bike as much as he would like. So one Sunday I decided to go over and ask him if he would go for a quick ride with me, after hearing how Sundays are his only day off and he needed to cut the grass and wash the cars ect,ect,ect I finally talked him in to it, telling him we would not be gone long. What he did not know was I already had it set up for the grass to be cut with my nephew. On the road we go, after our first stop I had another excuse to go somewhere else when we were leaving, 4 more excuses and 6 hours later we were back home. Grass cut my dad smiling and me having some good time riding side by side with my dad. Just thought I would share, as we get older sometimes we need to do what we can to spend the extra minutes with our parents / loved ones / or friends.

As a father, and a long time rider, I envy you. My Dad passed away in 1980, I've got a picture of him sitting on my 75 Shovel, in a HD polo I got him for his birthday. You a good son, Tc, ride on!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 AM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 855 Likes on 428 Posts

You two are lucky. My Dad has been gone thirty years now. Great planning on your part. Enjoy!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:15 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts

There is nothing better. I talk my dad into trading in his Honda 550 and getting a hd back in the 80's. He bought an old shovel and has been a hd guy since. Some of the best days of the summer are when we ride together.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 AM
jamess71
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff. My Dad doesn't ride but my 8 and 5 year old kids already do. Offroad, at least while I'm looking. ;-)

Old 10-31-2014, 03:36 AM
Sapphire
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father came home with a small bike back in the 70's trying to beat the gas crisis. He also insisted my brother and I learn to ride. Thanks Pop! We never had the chance to ride together before I lost him, something I very much regret...

Now if I could only get my son to stop holding out for an Aston Martin DB9 and get a Harley...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side by side with dad