Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB on the HK radio...separate unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:47 AM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default CB on the HK radio...separate unit?

The stock HK radio on my 2012 limited is starting to cut out. I might buy a take off instead of having it repaired. What I want to know is that is the CB built into my radio? or is there a separate CB unit? It has been a while since I had the faring off and I don't remember. Thanks

Old 10-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

The CB function is built in but to activate it you have to have an external CB unit plugged and mounte on top of gage radio. I would take the fairing off and inspect the connections and just generally look around to see if you spot bare wires anywhere rubbing....

Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

CB Unit is separate from the radio as already stated. Works through the HK radio.

Quite common for HK radio circuit boards to crack. Symptoms are loss of sound until the radio is shut-off and turned back on. Iron Cross Radio can fix you up fairly reasonably and tell you what to do to stop this from happening again. Check the brackets inside your fairing and make sure they aren't broken.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
CB Unit is separate from the radio as already stated. Works through the HK radio.

Quite common for HK radio circuit boards to crack. Symptoms are loss of sound until the radio is shut-off and turned back on. Iron Cross Radio can fix you up fairly reasonably and tell you what to do to stop this from happening again. Check the brackets inside your fairing and make sure they aren't broken.
Helped a buddy change out his broken fairing brackets.
Both brackets plus his speaker supports were broken.
Replaced the fairing brackets with the "Strong Arm Fairing Support." Lifetime warranty and a cool looking orange color.
His fairing shook all over.
Mine are fine but it will be a winter project.
Cheaper than two Harley supports.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:50 PM
fullautomike
Road Master

I ended up buying a used take off for about the same price as the Iron Cross repair. I do not know if my brackets are broken but I think I will change mine out to those Strong Arm ones. Thanks for the replies!

Old 11-02-2014, 04:29 PM
fullautomike
Road Master

One last thing. I got another radio. I orderd the Alloy art strong arms, now I hear I should replace the horizontal mount too. Anyone have a link or know the part number????