Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mud flap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 01:58 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

My 2014 Chevy truck has a small mud flap in front of the rear tire.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:02 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

There was a thread on HDF some while ago in which a member commented that he had seen local Police Harleys with a flap in front of the rear wheel. We commissioned him to go and photo one, but I haven't seen any results!

That was probably me ! I read a report from CHP about it. They were testing a mid frame flap to help reduce tire punctures.

I never saw a picture and still have not made mine.....yet.

I had planned on using some leftover semi truck mudflat from a previous project and attach it to the wishbone under the bike.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed front and rear flaps from day one. Always liked the look and figured they had to help some. My buddy told me the front flap could possibly help avoid a rear flat.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Where can you get them?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bigheadted
That was probably me ! I read a report from CHP about it. They were testing a mid frame flap to help reduce tire punctures.

I never saw a picture and still have not made mine.....yet.

I had planned on using some leftover semi truck mudflat from a previous project and attach it to the wishbone under the bike.
I have a lot of stuff to do on my old bike, but plan trying something similar. There are aftermarket flaps available on Ebay that look suitable candidates.

Originally Posted by mike5511
Where can you get them?
Ebay. There are small and large ones, for front and rear. Just search for 'Harley mudflaps', there's a wide variety to suit all tastes!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:17 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,242 Likes on 808 Posts

I've run them before, they've helped. Especially for reducing the spray that tends to hit your feet and shins when riding in the rain. But they've helped more on bikes that had smaller front fenders. Not sure there would be all that much of a gain on these bikes with their big fender.

Most disconcerting thing I ran into with the big and long mud flaps was having them strike the ground coming off things like speed bumps. Quite startling the first time or two.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Where can you get them?

From the Harley Dealer

Old 10-31-2014, 06:54 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Flaps deflect splash and crap from getting on the area of the vehicle just behind the flap. There is nothing behind a rear flap on a motorclcle, unless you are pulling a trailer. But as discussed, there will be other spray on the road, rain at all angles, and splash from other vehicles anyway, so I would say a rear flap would be pretty much useless.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Flaps on rear of rear fender, are there to protect those vehicles behind you...

They may have an additional advantage by deflecting some spray away from the back of the rear fender, I can't say...

Those who laughed at the Asian guy with the 'umbrella' and 'soft lower' hanging under his windshield, giggle at things you don't think about. Check it out again...

Besides keeping the sun off his head/neck, the 'umbrella' awning is actually shaped like a wing, short ribs in front, longer ribs in back. Probably to be more aerodynamic at speed. And it looks to me as if the 'soft lower' provides protection to the shins/knees of the rider, along with deflecting dust and rain as he splashes through wet/dry dirt roads. It is also designed to flex in the wind. Laugh all you like, you are the little girls worrying about what others will think of you, while he is riding in true style.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:20 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Flaps on rear of rear fender, are there to protect those vehicles behind you...

They may have an additional advantage by deflecting some spray away from the back of the rear fender, I can't say...

Those who laughed at the Asian guy with the 'umbrella' and 'soft lower' hanging under his windshield, giggle at things you don't think about. Check it out again...

Besides keeping the sun off his head/neck, the 'umbrella' awning is actually shaped like a wing, short ribs in front, longer ribs in back. Probably to be more aerodynamic at speed. And it looks to me as if the 'soft lower' provides protection to the shins/knees of the rider, along with deflecting dust and rain as he splashes through wet/dry dirt roads. It is also designed to flex in the wind. Laugh all you like, you are the little girls worrying about what others will think of you, while he is riding in true style.

Quick Reply: Mud flap