Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bleed problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 PM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake bleed problem

I tried to bleed the front brakes(to change out the fluid)and ran into a problem. It won't bleed. I removed the front brake reservoir cover, hooked up the Mighty Vac to the bleed fitting, pumped it up, opened the bleed fitting and no fluid will come out! I have read through some threads here on how to do this and know about the electronic thingy you have to hook up but I saw that wasn't needed............ What the F did I do wrong now for God's sake?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:25 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

You show in your sig that your bike has ABS. Are you doing this with the factory service manual by your side?! You don't have a direct line from reservoir to bleed nipple, so the old way won't work! Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will call by soon.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
skiddd
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
You show in your sig that your bike has ABS. Are you doing this with the factory service manual by your side?! You don't have a direct line from reservoir to bleed nipple, so the old way won't work! Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will call by soon.

Thanks Man........

Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some speed breeders..ten minute job. I use a vet syringe to start the fluid then finish with sb. Maybe not enough pull in your vac?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:12 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

did you try to gravity bleed them first. Leave the cover off open the bleeder at the bottom and wait for the brake fluid to come out. Then close the bleeder, top of the fluid install cap and then try to bleed again. On my old bike sometimes one had to loosen the bango bolt as air would get stuck at that point and not allow it to pass.

Batman.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by skiddd
Thanks Man........
In principle you have to bleed the pipe from the reservoir to the ABS unit, then each pipe from that to the calipers. However I don't have an ABS Harley, so don't know the correct process.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

ABS breaks bleed the same as any other. Unless you have turned your ignition on after you introduced air into the system that is...did you pull the gasket after you opened the bleeder? Is the bleeder all the way open?

Old 10-30-2014, 06:11 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

On bikes with ABS you need to bleed between the Master Cylinder and the ABS module electronically. It has to be hooked up to a computer, either Digital Technician II at a dealership or an Indy shop that has Techno Research. after that part is bled you bleed from the module to the Calipers the normal way.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:15 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
On bikes with ABS you need to bleed between the Master Cylinder and the ABS module electronically. It has to be hooked up to a computer, either Digital Technician II at a dealership or an Indy shop that has Techno Research. after that part is bled you bleed from the module to the Calipers the normal way.
I have never used that method, zero problems..

Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I have done a TON of these bikes with ABS. Never needed a Digi Tech...All the Digi Tech does is cycle the module to remove air from it. No need UNLESS you cyclee the ignition with air in the system...The bike in my sig pic has ABS...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 10-30-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake bleed problem