Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:04 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by orangevette
does anybody do a ride and tune anymore? Or does everyone just drop em off with Bubba and Cooter and leave their credit card?
just as you are, based on reading some of your other posts, I'm a tinkerer. I like to know how things work and more so why they work the way they do so yes I ride and tune (for myself) Do it all the time with TTS. The only guys I send to a dyno when I'm done with their bike mods is the guys who a) don't have the time to fool with it b) don't care to know how it all works or c) are not capable of street tuning. Me personally will not street tune someone else's bike. Too time consuming and not worth the $ to me. If I had a dyno, would be a totally different story.

So you have to be able to invest the time to do it right. If you can't or won't, then don't bother yourself with it and bring it to a tuner to get it done.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
just as you are, based on reading some of your other posts, I'm a tinkerer. I like to know how things work and more so why they work the way they do so yes I ride and tune (for myself) Do it all the time with TTS. The only guys I send to a dyno when I'm done with their bike mods is the guys who a) don't have the time to fool with it b) don't care to know how it all works or c) are not capable of street tuning. Me personally will not street tune someone else's bike. Too time consuming and not worth the $ to me. If I had a dyno, would be a totally different story.

So you have to be able to invest the time to do it right. If you can't or won't, then don't bother yourself with it and bring it to a tuner to get it done.
I agree with you.
I gotta know what parameters can be changed and what will it affect. If my tuner archives information, for how long? And mess with stuff.
A dynamometer is a fantastic tool that is a waist when only used for power pulls to get a kewl dyno sheet.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:40 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree with you.
I gotta know what parameters can be changed and what will it affect. If my tuner archives information, for how long? And mess with stuff.
A dynamometer is a fantastic tool that is a waist when only used for power pulls to get a kewl dyno sheet.
Only reason I ever ask to see a chart is to look at the curves. That tells me a hell of a lot more information than numbers do. IMO, people who get caught up in the numbers game have only set themselves up for dissapointment from the onset. Numbers mean absolutely squat unless they are right where they're needed most.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:51 AM
lowend73
Tourer

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

my point exactly. Just give me the dyno sheets, n keep the change.

There is no point that you made. I know it is good for the bike. I don't have the knowledge to do it. How does that even apply to your statement?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:53 AM
lowend73
Tourer

I agree with you. I gotta know what parameters can be changed and what will it affect. If my tuner archives information, for how long? And mess with stuff. A dynamometer is a fantastic tool that is a waist when only used for power pulls to get a kewl dyno sheet.
Good point, but totally unrelated to my question about noticeable difference in riding after getting my bike dyno tuned.

Last edited by lowend73; 10-31-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by lowend73
Long story short, I'm getting my SG back after being Dyno'd. I'm prepared to be flamed, but oh well;

First, will there be a noticeable difference as far as overall riding? I know it will not be like 200mph and all that. But what have you experienced as far as that? I am new to the Dyno, hence the dumb questions.

I am really excited, and this is something I studied(thank you search function), and found a really good tech who sat down with me for about an hour just talking about the pros and cons. Not a sales pitch at all.

Thanks again in advance

A good dyno tune with the exhaust and air cleaner you have added will most definitely be noticeable in daily riding.

Below is a chart of a Stage 1 with a generic PV tune, a good dyno tune will be as good or better.

As Ultranutz mentioned...check out the curve. The torque (which is what you feel) is an average of 16% higher in the RPM's that most riding is done in.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-31-2014, 12:12 PM
lowend73
Tourer

Thanks DK, and everyone else who answered the question

Old 10-31-2014, 01:46 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lowend73
Thanks DK, and everyone else who answered the question
To be honest only you will know if you feel the difference, but if you went from the restrictive EPA stock tune and catalytic converter to a free flowing properly tuned bike you should feel a difference. I would guess a lot of the seat of the pants you feel would have to do with how much you weigh and how you ride. If you weigh 275 and drove like a grand pa before and drive the same now you might not notice anything. If your 200 lbs and like to use a lot of throttle it should be noticeable. Either way at least you know the tune is for your exact mods and not a generic one map for all tune. Thanks for your service as well!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:51 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, got a question: How many have been shown multiple strips and told, "here's the dyno we pulled for best economy"? or that since the rev limits been raised you may want to keep it around this range cause with the profile of the cams you chose you may float a valve unless you change the springs.
what I'm saying is a dyno tune, just to get a good before and after comparison is like standing at the finish line at the boston marathon with a EKG slip and yelling wanna race?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:08 PM
lowend73
Tourer

I can definitely tell a difference. The bike is much more responsive. Riding is a lot more enjoyable, especially on the freeway when having to pass other vehicles.

Really glad that I got it done. It was well worth the money.

Here is the printout that I got. I know a lot of folks like to read and breakdown the sheet, so here you all go

Dyno question-image-256750731.jpg

Quick Reply: Dyno question