Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull Behind Trailer single wheel vs two wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM
jjohnson77536
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Behind Trailer single wheel vs two wheels?

I was wondering which is better? The single wheel or the two wheel pull behind trailer? Any thoughts? Thanks all for the input! I am getting a trailer just not sure which kind...

Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I rode a BMW K1200 LT a few years ago with one of those UniGo trailers with the single wheel. You couldn't even tell the thing was back there. I have seen some ridiculous sized trailers. Some you wouldn't want to pull with a compact car but these guys are pulling them with bikes. I vote single wheel.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:55 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Bushtec....

Old 10-31-2014, 09:15 AM
shurtman
Advanced

Cannot beat bushtec. Uncle had one - he's taken it through the dragon with his wing numerous times with the footboards scrapping at every turn. I was second bike on the entire trip behind him and the trailer NEVER bounced or wavered. An excellent trailer.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Single wheel look cool and I liked the idea of them tracking the same as the bike. But I went with an ALMA LTD. MCT all aluminum 2 wheel trailer for two reasons. On the single wheel trailers the box is in front of the wheel instead of over it like a 2 wheel trailer so more of the weight is supported by the back of the bike. Second concern was that since the trailer leans with the bike, if you happen to stop with the bike leaning or if you start to drop the bike you are fighting the weight of the bike and trailer, not just the bike which is heavy enough on its own.

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 11-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:48 AM
roadrunner10
Cruiser

I have a 2 wheel trailer with independent suspension torsion axles and 12" wheels. I pay attention when loading it to properly to keep tongue weight at 10% of total trailer weight.
It tows like a dream! No problems what so ever. I will not say that you dont know its there but it doesn't feel uncomfortable in the slightest. Ever! Corners, hills, braking,... effortless.

I will concede that Bushtec is probably the best trailer made. I believe that there are plenty of decent trailers on the market for a fraction of the cost of a Bushtec.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not currently looking for a trailer, but when I am I'll consider the UniGo. http://www.uni-go.com/ One nice thing is that its size would keep the total weight down. I find that I tend to pack to the limit of whatever I'm traveling in.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:55 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Uni-Go for a few years and loved it. It went across the country and back with no issues.

One of the best features is that you can roll into your hotel room. Try that with a Bustec...LOL!

It is all personal choice but if you want to ride without your trailer that day, do you trust just leaving it in a hotel parking lot all day? You think the hotel is watching it? There are plenty that have never had any problems but what about the contents of trailer. I don't want to walk back and forth from the parking lot getting my stuff. I prefer just walk across my hotel room.

Good luck in your choice! Whichever version/brand you get, you will be happy.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:18 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mattman22033

One of the best features is that you can roll into your hotel room.
Yeah but they get all bent when you roll it across the lobby to get it on the elevator.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
I'm not currently looking for a trailer, but when I am I'll consider the UniGo. http://www.uni-go.com/ One nice thing is that its size would keep the total weight down. I find that I tend to pack to the limit of whatever I'm traveling in.
As do most people. We've done 2 full weeks w/o a trailer so I've determined that while one would be nice, they are not necessarily necessary.

Originally Posted by Egldr05
Yeah but they get all bent when you roll it across the lobby to get it on the elevator.
No different than a wheel chair or one of those "old folks go-carts".......

Quick Reply: Pull Behind Trailer single wheel vs two wheels?