Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Schaeffer v-twin 20-50 oil

Old 11-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Schaeffer v-twin 20-50 oil

Anyone else tried this stuff? Just changed my fluids for my 20k service & at the advice of my Indy mechanic, went with schaeffer in both in crankcase & primary (belray syn gear lube in tranny). I gotta say, my engine has never been quieter & while I've always been a fan of formula +, I feel the bike shifts smoother & the 1st gear clunk is reduced significantly. Anyone out there have long term experience with how the oil in both locations holds up over the 5k interval?

The following users liked this post:
David Hardaway (07-28-2022)
Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

We used it at a place I drove for in all the vehicles. Did oil sampling in the semis and it did real well. Which of their products did you use? Something different in the primary than the 20w-50 syn?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser

It's their newer 20-50 vtwin 707 racing oil, & used that in the primary this time instead of formula plus. I guess I wasn't entirely clear on that in my original post, but I'm happy with how the bike runs, sounds & shifts! Just wondered about the long term performance say, compared to syn3, castrol vtwin, Mobil 1, etc. I would imagine the zinc additive package in schaeffers is good for the flat tappet cams in our engines, but had heard zinc isn't good for catalytic converters?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:32 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Been using Schaeffer products for years in my bikes and in my vehicles. I haven't found anything that will beat their performance, reliability, and quality. Google up the tests on their products conducted by independent researchers.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowbennie
I would imagine the zinc additive package in schaeffers is good for the flat tappet cams in our engines, but had heard zinc isn't good for catalytic converters?
HD cams are roller, no worries there.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Oh good, another oil thread.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sixguns
HD cams are roller, no worries there.
Yeah, whoops. I had a conversation with the on staff P.E. here about higher zinc content in oils the other day and he was saying zinc is good for flat tappet cams; therefore, I drew an incorrect conclusion since I had brought up using schaeffer in my recent oil change. I guess if I would have already done my long overdue cam swap, I'd have known that.

Oh, and KC...does this make it all better??

Attached Thumbnails Schaeffer v-twin 20-50 oil-download.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 09:58 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shadowbennie

Oh, and KC...does this make it all better??
Truthfully? No! But if the Schaeffer works for you, great. I personally have never seen it, heard of it, and wouldn't even know where to buy it.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 11-05-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:10 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

This concerns me since you said you put this in your primary. From the Shaeffer website.

#705 is not recommended for use in those motorcycle and ATV applications that specify engine oil that meets JASO MA or MB. Use of #705 in applications that specify JASO MA or MB oil can cause slippage and improper engagement of the clutch mechanisms.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser

Yeah, I know, I've sifted through many an oil thread on here too, but figured since I wasn't asking "which kind of oil I should use?" it wouldn't ruffle too many feathers. No worries, man.

I just happened to have needed some belray tranny fluid, and while I was purchasing that, my indy mechanic had schaeffers for $8/qt so I thought I'd try it, otherwise, I would've just gotten some castrol v-twin or mobil 1 at oreilly's like I usually do.

But, like you, because I'd never used it and barely heard of it, I thought I'd ask the question on here about performance in both engine, and more specifically, use in the primary as some other threads had raised the same concerns you have.

Most threads I've seen regarding use in the primary seem to state that using 705 in the primary is problematic, but I'm using 707, which according to schaeffer's tech sheet is supposed to be fine for wet clutches. But I'm still trying to confirm this through those whom have real world experience using it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Schaeffer v-twin 20-50 oil