Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 RKC - P1655 code on 96ci

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:03 AM
twhiteside
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RKC - P1655 code on 96ci

I have a 2010 Road King with the 96ci engine that does not have Automatic Compression Release. The other day when I started it, I got the ole' check engine light. I checked the codes and the P1655 is set which I believe is "ACR Solenoid Low". What can cause that on a bike that doesn't have ACRs?

The bike seems to run fine. The local Harley shop (Not the dealer) said to ignore it if it is running fine, but I don't feel comfortable with a code set.

Now there is a little more in the mix here (full disclosure). I have the Vigilante EZ that I did update with the latest maps. The timing of the code appearing seemed to be around the time I updated, but I put it back to stock and still have the code come back after clearing it and restarting. I called SuperChips and was assured that the Vigilante EZ Map would not "turn on" the ACR function in my ECM?

I have an appointment to have the bike looked at, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas what else could set this code? After clearing the code, when I start the bike the Check Engine Light seems to come on as the bike idles down after initial startup. (A few seconds in).

Any ideas?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not sure if the wiring is in the harness for ACRs.If it was and there was a ground on the ACR harness that might cause a low indication.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:26 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by twhiteside
I have a 2010 Road King with the 96ci engine that does not have Automatic Compression Release. The other day when I started it, I got the ole' check engine light. I checked the codes and the P1655 is set which I believe is "ACR Solenoid Low". What can cause that on a bike that doesn't have ACRs?

The bike seems to run fine. The local Harley shop (Not the dealer) said to ignore it if it is running fine, but I don't feel comfortable with a code set.

Now there is a little more in the mix here (full disclosure). I have the Vigilante EZ that I did update with the latest maps. The timing of the code appearing seemed to be around the time I updated, but I put it back to stock and still have the code come back after clearing it and restarting. I called SuperChips and was assured that the Vigilante EZ Map would not "turn on" the ACR function in my ECM?

I have an appointment to have the bike looked at, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas what else could set this code? After clearing the code, when I start the bike the Check Engine Light seems to come on as the bike idles down after initial startup. (A few seconds in).

Any ideas?
nothing else was changed on the bike? maybe air-cleaner at the same time you put the tuner on? I think SC needs to look at this map that you're using and determine whether ACRs are turned on in the map itself. You may not have the ability to change it yourself but it is certainly a setting within any flash tuner map that I've seen since the inception of ACRs which I believe was back in 07 sometime

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 11-05-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:19 PM
twhiteside
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies...
Nothing else was changed. Air Cleaner was already on the bike before the tuner. I did setup an appointment with Harley for Friday. First thing I would like them to do (and I would guess they would do) is check to see if the ACR option is turned on in the ECM.

Actually the SC guy was nice, but a little short when I asked him to check the map... It was basically, "...the map didn't do that. If it did, we would have gotten a lot of calls and yours is the first."

I will keep you posted...

Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 AM
twhiteside
4th Gear

P1655 Update from Yesterday.

Just to remind - This code appeared after a Tune Update on the EZ, but I was told by SuperChips that the MAP loaded couldn't have caused the code. What else to do but go to the dealer? Keep in mind, the bike ran fine it just had a code and the check engine light on.

1. Chose return to "stock" program on the SC Vigilante EZ and the "Check Engine" P1655 code remained.. (remember my bike doesn't have ACRs).
2. Rode the bike to the dealer for the appointment and explained the situation. Of course they explained that the bike should be tuned with a dyno and SE program.
3. I explained that I wanted them to flash the bike back to "Harley Stock". I know I put the bike back to "stock" with the Tuner, but I wanted it back to "Harley Stock".

(You may know where this is going...)

4. Bike was flashed back to "Harley Stock" and $67.00 later (for labor), I had NO code or check engine light.

So what caused the P1655 code? Was it really the Vigilante EZ map? I was told it couldn't be that.... Only one way to find out and the Harley mechanic thought I was an idiot but we have to know! I plugged in the Vigilante EZ to my 2010 Road King 96ci and picked Dual Exhaust, SE Stage 1 A/C and loaded the Tune. I shut off the ignition, unplugged the tuner and waited for a bit. Put the side cover on, put the Saddlebag back on.

The moment of truth - Ignition, Run, Start - Engine fires up..... BLINK - there it is "Check Engine" P1655 code again!

So I shut off the bike (wallet $67.00s lighter) and call SC. I told them that I just spent $67.00 to find out that there MAP file is turning on ACR in the ECM and it doesn't seem to be loading the complete "Stock" Map back either! They are escalating to their engineers and I am hoping to hear back early next week!

I have confidence they will get this resolved - it seems like a pretty simple thing to fix in the MAP file.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

P1655 Update from Yesterday.

Just to remind - This code appeared after a Tune Update on the EZ, but I was told by SuperChips that the MAP loaded couldn't have caused the code. What else to do but go to the dealer? Keep in mind, the bike ran fine it just had a code and the check engine light on.

1. Chose return to "stock" program on the SC Vigilante EZ and the "Check Engine" P1655 code remained.. (remember my bike doesn't have ACRs).
2. Rode the bike to the dealer for the appointment and explained the situation. Of course they explained that the bike should be tuned with a dyno and SE program.
3. I explained that I wanted them to flash the bike back to "Harley Stock". I know I put the bike back to "stock" with the Tuner, but I wanted it back to "Harley Stock".

(You may know where this is going...)

4. Bike was flashed back to "Harley Stock" and $67.00 later (for labor), I had NO code or check engine light.

So what caused the P1655 code? Was it really the Vigilante EZ map? I was told it couldn't be that.... Only one way to find out and the Harley mechanic thought I was an idiot but we have to know! I plugged in the Vigilante EZ to my 2010 Road King 96ci and picked Dual Exhaust, SE Stage 1 A/C and loaded the Tune. I shut off the ignition, unplugged the tuner and waited for a bit. Put the side cover on, put the Saddlebag back on.

The moment of truth - Ignition, Run, Start - Engine fires up..... BLINK - there it is "Check Engine" P1655 code again!

So I shut off the bike (wallet $67.00s lighter) and call SC. I told them that I just spent $67.00 to find out that there MAP file is turning on ACR in the ECM and it doesn't seem to be loading the complete "Stock" Map back either! They are escalating to their engineers and I am hoping to hear back early next week!

I have confidence they will get this resolved - it seems like a pretty simple thing to fix in the MAP file.
Yes it is the map. They apparently screwed up and didn't disable the ACRs in the map. I would get them to credit you for the labor of HD to put stock map back in.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 AM
twhiteside
4th Gear

I am happy to say that the P1655 issue has been corrected! I got a call from SC Support yesterday afternoon and was told there was a fix. I downloaded the update and reprogrammed the bike and the code is gone! I was also told they would take care of the HD Diagnostic charge. Overall, I appreciate the quick response and actions.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:05 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

great news!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I am happy to say that the P1655 issue has been corrected! I got a call from SC Support yesterday afternoon and was told there was a fix. I downloaded the update and reprogrammed the bike and the code is gone! I was also told they would take care of the HD Diagnostic charge. Overall, I appreciate the quick response and actions.
Of course there was a fix... you were given the wrong map. I am glad they are taking care of the HD Diagnostic charge - that is good business.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 AM
Smiley_DSMC
Stage I

Do you know what map you are running now? I just bought the Superchips Vigilante and installed it on my 2013 Street Bob and I'm getting the exact same problem.

Quick Reply: 2010 RKC - P1655 code on 96ci