Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Street Glide, 30T pulley and Cruise Control question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Hallze
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Street Glide, 30T pulley and Cruise Control question

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2008 Street glide that I'm rebuilding the primary and trans on as it has a noise that is speed dependent. Hopefully the tools should turn up today so I can start pulling the trans apart.

I've been thinking for a while about changing the trans pulley to a 30 tooth unit to make 2 up hill starts a bit easier. I plan on using the Triglide pulley #83595-11. I realize that using this pulley and keeping the stock tooth belt I may have to elongate the rear axle hole.

My concern is I'm using a SEPST and speedo recal can't be done using this unit. I plan on getting a Dakota Digital SIM 1 to correct the speedo. Has anyone had problems with loosing their 6th gear light and cruise control?

If anyone has done the same or knows a better way can you please help.

I've done a lot of reading/searching but I'm more confused/muddled up than at the start!

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Cruise and 6th gear light are not affected by pulley changes.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:28 PM
camsmith
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Cruise and 6th gear light are not affected by pulley changes.
I respectfully disagree as pulley changes can cause 6th gear light and/or cruise to be inoperable in throttle by wire bikes with an ECM. This can be corrected with certain tuners such as the PowerVision.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:04 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by camsmith
I respectfully disagree as pulley changes can cause 6th gear light and/or cruise to be inoperable in throttle by wire bikes with an ECM. This can be corrected with certain tuners such as the PowerVision.
Agreed. I did this very same swap on my Limited. Cruise and 6th gear light weren't affected but I have seen it happen. I was also able to correct my speedo with the PV as well.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 11-05-2014, 10:24 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I have an 08 and changed gearing and lost the 6th gear light prior to regaining it back with the TTS. I believe it to be an anomaly with my cruise as I did not lose cruise when I went to a 30 tooth and others using the same setup lost theirs. I have since changed out the 30 tooth for a ring gear conversion.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:55 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Not exactly wha you're looking for, but I changed the rear pulley on my '08 to the Jap Sportster 68 tooth pully and have had no issues with cruise or 6th gear light.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:18 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hallze
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2008 Street glide that I'm rebuilding the primary and trans on as it has a noise that is speed dependent. Hopefully the tools should turn up today so I can start pulling the trans apart.

I've been thinking for a while about changing the trans pulley to a 30 tooth unit to make 2 up hill starts a bit easier. I plan on using the Triglide pulley #83595-11. I realize that using this pulley and keeping the stock tooth belt I may have to elongate the rear axle hole.

My concern is I'm using a SEPST and speedo recal can't be done using this unit. I plan on getting a Dakota Digital SIM 1 to correct the speedo. Has anyone had problems with loosing their 6th gear light and cruise control?

If anyone has done the same or knows a better way can you please help.

I've done a lot of reading/searching but I'm more confused/muddled up than at the start!

Thanks in advance.
I tried to use the SIM 1 to correct the normal speedometer error on my 08 Ultra. Lost the cruise and 6th gear light.
If I'm thinking correctly this gearing change would make the normal error worse. So I would say forget the SIM-1

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Explain how the 6th gear light or cruise could possibly be affected by a change in pulley size.

A change in primary gearing can and will affect both but not pulley changes.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default calibration

I tried in vain to use one of the after market calibrators. In fact I tried three of them with the same results. No good. I could calibrate all day long but the 6th gear light and cruise light wouldn't work. I went to a TTS tuner and it had the ability for calibration . It worked great. At the time I had a SERT on there was originally made by TTS. They offered and upgrade to TTS . I sent them my tuner and they upgraded mine. The problem was solved. Speedo and calibration was and is right on now.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did Not Affect Mine

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Explain how the 6th gear light or cruise could possibly be affected by a change in pulley size.

A change in primary gearing can and will affect both but not pulley changes.

Like the OP, I used the 83595-11 TriGlide pulley, and changed the belt to a Goodyear 39T belt to alleviate having to mess with the OEM rear axle adjustments on the '10 Ultra.
I did not experience any effects with either the 6th gear indicator or speedometer calibration. I will say I was nervously expecting issues with one or both.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2008 Street Glide, 30T pulley and Cruise Control question