Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat fitment for 2008 Touring Models

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:08 PM
WallyWhite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Seat fitment for 2008 Touring Models

Hi Everyone,

New user hear so if I'm not following any of the norms on here I'm open to feedback. I just picked up a retired police bike, a 2008 Electra Glide. While the solo seat on it is great I need to get a touring seat so the Mrs and I can ride two-up. I have a seat on CL I've been looking at and have talked with the seller about it and we've settled on a $100 for it. It's the stock seat off a 2011 Classic.

What I've been able to discern from reading the related posts on here is that it's one of two answers:

1) 2008 - newer seats on the touring models are pretty much interchangeable and I'd be ok with picking this seat up.
2) 2008 touring models are the red-headed step children of the Touring line and only 2008 seats will fit on 2008 bikes.

Can anyone tell me if this seat will work on my bike? or help me verify which answer above is correct so I can narrow down my searches? Any help and advice is appreciated guys. The snows flying here in MN tomorrow so I have a few months to get this thing into shape before next summer.

I'll also be looking for replacement drive lights (they pulled the blue/red police lights), a stereo (pulled that too), and will be getting it painted. First step though is the seat since if the Mrs doesn't go with I don't get to ride nearly as often.

Thanks again in advance for all the help.

Shawn.

Last edited by WallyWhite; 11-09-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:14 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

#2.

the frame rails on the 09+ frame are wider.

DO a test fit.

I told the Guy 6 times that the 09 seat I was selling wouldn;t fit his 08 CVO...he insisted on taking it and had it modded.

3 weeks later he shows up wanting his money back because the seat don't fit...I reminded him of the emails I sent him telling him it won;t fit...

anyway, try the seat for a fit- check that it makes good even contact on the frame rails.

08 started the tang on the gas tank and the slot on the seat ( before it was the other way around)

in your shoes I would look for an 08 seat...........or a 07 and earlier seat and make up a tang to support the nose of the seat

as for lights and other stuff, your local craigslist or the classifieds here at the forums are good

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-13-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Apparently depends on the seat. I used the same HD Sundowner seat on my 08 Ultra and my 13 RGU. Currently have an 08 SG seat on my 13 RGU.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM
AcesOverEights
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I have an 08. The 08+ seats work fine on my bike. Some aftermarket ones are iffy. Thats if the manufacturer made them high enough in the seat pan to clear the computer.

Finding a seat that fits is kind of hit or miss. Some 08+ do, some dont, and some sort of do. But pre 08 do not.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:18 AM
WallyWhite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Quick update, I just picked up a seat on Ebay from a 2008 Electra Glide. I figured it was better to be safe with the 08 like you guys said. It was slim pickings on CL here in MN this time of year. Hardly any listings for seats, let alone one that matched my bike. At least I know this one will fit. Even though it's the stock seat it should do just fine while I spend some money on some other goodies for the new ride. Hopefully it's comfy enough where both of us can handle a few long weekends on the road this summer.

I had a Mustang seat on my metric I rode before this so I'm hoping it doesn't seem uncomfortable by comparison. Thanks again everyone.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM
AcesOverEights
Tourer

Originally Posted by WallyWhite
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Quick update, I just picked up a seat on Ebay from a 2008 Electra Glide. I figured it was better to be safe with the 08 like you guys said. It was slim pickings on CL here in MN this time of year. Hardly any listings for seats, let alone one that matched my bike. At least I know this one will fit. Even though it's the stock seat it should do just fine while I spend some money on some other goodies for the new ride. Hopefully it's comfy enough where both of us can handle a few long weekends on the road this summer.

I had a Mustang seat on my metric I rode before this so I'm hoping it doesn't seem uncomfortable by comparison. Thanks again everyone.
Glad you found a seat that will work. I didnt see that you are also in MN. Im out by Lake Minnetonka.

All the seats I have are 08 seats or the aftermarket solo. Otherwise I would have let you try them out.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

08 and newer are interchangeable.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:33 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found that the stock seat can be very tolerable with the addition of a driver backrest. Did the 08 seats have the slots for them? I know my RK is different as it's a 2012 but I just wanted to throw that out as a possible cheaper option than an after market seat. Good luck, and yeah it's cold!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM
AcesOverEights
Tourer

Yes they do. I have the adjustable Harley backrest. I just cant seem to find a comfy spot for it. So i hardly ever use it. For me, its the height of the stock seat. Its comfy enough, just too tall. I feel like Im sitting above the bike instead of in/on it.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:42 PM
RKC rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Weavr99FLHT;13428423]08 and newer are interchangeable.[/QU
I checked my H-D catalogs and my aftermarket catalogs and seats are listed as
either :1996 to 2007
or : 2008 up

Quick Reply: Seat fitment for 2008 Touring Models