Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Ride Shields 60% off code

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:31 AM
TxClassic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my Re-curve Road King Elite with a light tint a few days ago and this morning I just got an email saying there was a flaw with the tint material and its now on back order until around Dec.5th….disappointing..but at least they gave me a heads up.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:47 AM
GibsonSG05
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine quick. Reno, NV to Phoenix, AZ. Mine looks great. I ordered the 16" windshield but it came in closer to 15". Not a big deal, looks great. Make sure you get double sided tape ahead of time for the hardware so you don't have to make a run in the middle of the project like I did. What I like the most is that it doesn't touch my apes like the HD windshield!

Old 11-26-2014, 06:03 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

GibsonSG05
"I ordered the 16" windshield but it came in closer to 15"

Yeah, mine was the same way. I ordered the 16 as well, and its not 16 inches. Maybe 16 from the headlight to the top of the shield, but not from the bottom of the headlight opening to the top of the shield. Also, did you notice the shield has a very slight milky haze. I suspect that's some sort of coating, but the shield is not crystal, or glass clear like the factory HD shield is. Just wondering, because I LOVE that my eyes don't tear up on cold mornings any more.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
GibsonSG05

Yeah, mine was the same way. I ordered the 16 as well, and its not 16 inches. Maybe 16 from the headlight to the top of the shield, but not from the bottom of the headlight opening to the top of the shield. Also, did you notice the shield has a very slight milky haze. I suspect that's some sort of coating, but the shield is not crystal, or glass clear like the factory HD shield is. Just wondering, because I LOVE that my eyes don't tear up on cold mornings any more.
Don't know how they measure the RK windshield. The ones for the Ultra and Limited they measure from the center screw but HD measures from the top of the fairing so the Long Ride Shield is a half inch shorter then the HD shield of the same size.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Copyless
Supporter

GibsonSG05

They measure the RK shield from the cutout (headlight) to the top of the shield, so this is why it seems shorter than you thought. I am not sure about your shield, because I do not know what you ordered, but I do know that they found a defect in the light tint material, so if your shield is a light tint, than it could be a defect, you can call lrs and check with them to find out.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:58 PM
GibsonSG05
Advanced

Mine doesn't have a haze. I was thinking that the shield might be 16" without the recurve. It is right on 16" from the top of the headlight, but the LRS website says to measure from bottom of the shield. Either way I'm happy.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by GibsonSG05
Got mine quick. Reno, NV to Phoenix, AZ. Mine looks great. I ordered the 16" windshield but it came in closer to 15". Not a big deal, looks great. Make sure you get double sided tape ahead of time for the hardware so you don't have to make a run in the middle of the project like I did. What I like the most is that it doesn't touch my apes like the HD windshield!

What do you need double sided tape for? Just ordered a 20'' shield yesterday.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by GibsonSG05
Mine doesn't have a haze. I was thinking that the shield might be 16" without the recurve. It is right on 16" from the top of the headlight, but the LRS website says to measure from bottom of the shield. Either way I'm happy.

Yours looks great. And honesty, I love mine. I just wanted to share what I was talking about. Here's the new Long Ride mounted up, next to the factory part. Is it me, or is there some haze or maybe some sort of anti glare coating? Because it seems to be part of the shield itself.

My MOCO windshield is on the right. The LRS is mounted.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:03 PM
GibsonSG05
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
What do you need double sided tape for? Just ordered a 20'' shield yesterday.

There's double sided tape that secures the hardware to the windshield. You'll have to remove it when you remove the hardware from your original windshield. I'm not sure if it is 100% necessary but I like the idea of not having the metal hardware right up against the poly windshield. The 3M tape I used from Autozone was about 1/16 or 1/8" thick and gives a little bit of padding between the two surfaces.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 PM
rbferg
Road Master

Yours looks great. And honesty, I love mine. I just wanted to share what I was talking about. Here's the new Long Ride mounted up, next to the factory part. Is it me, or is there some haze or maybe some sort of anti glare coating? Because it seems to be part of the shield itself.

My MOCO windshield is on the right. The LRS is mounted.

Yours looks hazy to me in the pics, It's definitely not clear compared to Hammerhead's. I would contact LRS.

Quick Reply: Long Ride Shields 60% off code