Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting Control Devices

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
Bl,that may be trie as you are running lowers. I have the fork mounted deflectors and dish works for me,so much that i only use it in cold weather.

That's an absolutely fair statement. I only bought the dish after some newly installed aftermarket lowers created the turbulence. IMHO, and ONLY my opinion, the Road Kings by their very nature have the cleanest air, and installing the lowers messed with that. Albeit, just slightly. But in my case, installing the bowl had no effect what so ever on the newly found turbulence. Quite possibly, a different setup could have better results for me, as they do for you.

I was also one of the people who jumped on the Long Ride Shields veteran's day sale. I bought one of their shields in the hopes I could resolve this. Hopefully when I install it, the issue is solved.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 11-15-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:24 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Its a waste of money anyways. I did a thread about the dish after I got some unwanted turbulence after installing lower fairings on my Road King. After installing the dish/bowl there was absolutely ZERO difference in unwanted turbulence and dirty air. I kept it on the bike for the sole reason I just can't bring myself to remove anything chrome. So on the bike it stays...... but ONLY because its chrome. Its does absolutely nothing.
I don't know about the RK, but on my Ultra, the biggest improvement I saw was that while riding in the rain, water no longer came up over the front of the tank and slap me in the face.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalShot
I don't know about the RK, but on my Ultra, the biggest improvement I saw was that while riding in the rain, water no longer came up over the front of the tank and slap me in the face.

Agreed. I read many threads praising the little bowl. I hoped for similar results that many claimed to have with it. That's exactly why I was so bummed that it made zero difference on my setup. Maybe I jumped the gun saying it does nothing. Please allow me to qualify the statement and say on "MY" Road King, it did nothing. But as mentioned, its still on the bike.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:01 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Guys, it's a motorcycle. There's going to be wind. LMAO.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:14 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,249 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Do any of these items work on a 2005 Fatboy CVO with a Switchblade windshield? The photo of my sig bike doesn`t show the windshield (that was before I bought the windshield).

Old 11-15-2014, 01:10 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

The "Bowl" greatly reduces wind over the tank and the "Beard Lift".
The Deflectors help move the wind out from me and helps also.
I leave mine on all the time, with the windshield or the Reckless Fairing.
I could see where lowers could mix this up somewhat, perhaps.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:22 PM
RushKing14
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The fork mounted fangs reduce the wind for the rider a great deal. They also help keep the feeling of your legs being pushed away from the bike, thus reducing fatigue. I leave mine on year round.

When/if they come out with the "bowl" for the 14's, I will get it too if for no other reason that I am a chrome *****.........

Old 11-15-2014, 04:07 PM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 546 Likes on 219 Posts

I installed the bowl took away half the turburlance. Installed the fork deflector's and now when my ash falls off the cigarette it floats in front of me for several seconds

Old 11-17-2014, 08:54 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also found the dish helped with 'beard lift', but not enough. That's why I went on to see what else I could find.

The GADS LTTD IMHO works better than the dish. While I know I'm in the minority - I like the look better than the chrome (...ducking to avoid the tomatoes...) - also JMHO.

Whether any of these devices work is a mostly subjective call. What might be an improvement for one, might create an different annoyance for another.

Agree that it's a motorcycle and wind in your face is part of that, but trying to remove my annoyance is part of making it MY motorcycle. You gotta do what's feels right for you.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

I ordered the LTTD a few hours ago, it"s very inexpensive and i always like to support American ingenuity.

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting Control Devices