Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Thoughts on Upgrades and Engine Life (?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:16 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
I agree with your thoughts that simply doing stage 1 will help motor life by reducing oil temperatures and pinging. I got better gas mileage after stage 1 as well, so I know the motor isn't working as hard either...
I agree. Some modifications will improve engine life. EPA mandates decrease engine life, get rid of them.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
I agree with your thoughts that simply doing stage 1 will help motor life by reducing oil temperatures and pinging. I got better gas mileage after stage 1 as well, so I know the motor isn't working as hard either...

That's the way I see it...

Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeyL.
Well, this was my thought. But does the negligible HP and torque increase cancel out the "easier/cooler" running motor? I can't imagine it does... Seems like it's commonly accepted that these machines are choked off by the EPA stock.. But again, these are commonly accepted ideas that I've never seen substantiated. I just can't believe that the heat from these lean running bikes isn't putting undue stress on them. I mean, why else would they start developing auto fans and auto cylinder shutdowns during warmer weather?
In my personal opinion the modifications you are describing are beneficial. Most of the serious engine builds include high lift cams, bored cylinders and ported heads. I believe the second type may cause some losses in reliability.

I did the latter build on a Softail that I used to own. It was a lot of fun to romp around on. Because I had the power, I was on it all the time. I haven't cracked the engine open on my latest bike. I have a stage 1 and I am done.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

There are many, many twin cam 96s out there that have 100,000 + miles on them. Well maintained is the key. That doesn't mean you have to change the oil every 2500 miles, just do what the manual says. It probably helps a little if you are handy and can do your own normal maintenance, but it isn't mandatory. Spend more time riding the bike and less time getting scared to death by reading motorcycle forums. Forums can be a great source of information but realize that you will never, ever get a consensus on anything. You will get a lot of opinions though.
Use common sense in all matters and when in doubt, consult a professional who does it for a living. Experience is worth a lot of money when it comes to maintenance.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I just crossed the threshold of 80k miles. 96 inch with high flow aircleaner, rb racing 2 into 1 exhaust, SE 204 cams and I ride aggressive. That doesn't mean I beat on it but I do have a heavy hand and run higher speeds generally. My mileage, after I reverted to riding moderately was improved after my modifications. The bike runs as strong as ever and I'm using about a quart of oil or so every 5k miles. The things that have gone wrong on this bike have had nothing to do with performance. 3 Harmen Karden stereos, the stator and voltage regulator, a starter, the weak compensator which lead to the bad starter and that's about it. I put a variable pressure clutch plate from AIM and the stock 2003 big V twin clutch spring so the clutch would handle the extra power. I'll be good for over 100k before I'll look to rebuild. I maintain the bike, use high quality synthetic oils, wait for the oil to warm before using serious power.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:29 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
if it's done right and not beat to death every day.
There in lies the problem. I don't know too many people that can use horsepower responsibly or even intelligently.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by JakeyL.
Would changing out the headers (gettin rid of cat), slipons, free flowing air cleaner, and new tune (map) really affect motor life?
As an engineer I reckon that the basic mods you mention will fall inside the life expectancy of the original design - in other words they are unlikely to have any affect on service life, one way or the other. Owner neglect will have a bigger influence! I would also add that in common with other modern vehicles the overall design and construction of our Harleys is so conservative in its nature that more extensive mods are also unlikely to have a significant affect.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

I think a stage 1 mod will help the motor live longer. I am also of the belief as long as you keep you motor under squared or squared the motor should last a long time with regular maint

Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bone-stock 96" motor with a Stage I upgrade (described in Sig Line below). It runs great at 114k. I'm not a hot-rodder by any means - I cruise and enjoy the ride.

Oil changes at 5k on the motor, 5k on the Primary and 15k on the Transmission. The only problem I've ever had with this bike is the damned Compensator (a design flaw that began in this year model). It's been replaced in this bike 3 times now - under the ESP thank heavens!

The Starter was replaced at around 90k I think, otherwise this entire motor and Transmission have never been touched.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good post. I have 25k on the build in my signature without a problem. I suppose it won't last forever, but man I am having fun.

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts on Upgrades and Engine Life (?)