Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Oil Change and Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Dealer Oil Change and Service

Okay, I've been doing my own service on various Yamahas, Hondas, Harleys ,etc. that I've owned over the past 35 years. Took my new '14 Street Glide to the dealer for only the first (1000) mile service in September. I did the 5000 mile service today. Pipe dope everywhere. All the drain plugs were absolutely slathered with pipe dope, which chewed the O rings to bits. I've never seen so much goo. Why the heck would a mechanic use pipe dope with O rings rendering them virtually useless. I have no idea how many times I've serviced various bikes over the years and I've never had a leak with O rings. The primary cover screws were obviously not torqued. Two of them were so tight I was afraid they would strip and one was just a little over finger tight. The Harley manual was ambiguous to me regarding the dealer doing the first service to maintain the warranty. Never again.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteF
Okay, I've been doing my own service on various Yamahas, Hondas, Harleys ,etc. that I've owned over the past 35 years. Took my new '14 Street Glide to the dealer for only the first (1000) mile service in September. I did the 5000 mile service today. Pipe dope everywhere. All the drain plugs were absolutely slathered with pipe dope, which chewed the O rings to bits. I've never seen so much goo. Why the heck would a mechanic use pipe dope with O rings rendering them virtually useless. I have no idea how many times I've serviced various bikes over the years and I've never had a leak with O rings. The primary cover screws were obviously not torqued. Two of them were so tight I was afraid they would strip and one was just a little over finger tight. The Harley manual was ambiguous to me regarding the dealer doing the first service to maintain the warranty. Never again.
There is pipe dope on them from the factory...

Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I have read several threads here where guys will claim you need pipe dope on the plugs. Personally with O-rings I have never used dope and never had a problem. I try to do all my own service and I know it is done right. Lets face it, it is not brain surgery.
I did have my 1K service done by the dealer and now you have me wondering?????

Old 11-18-2014, 08:03 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
There is pipe dope on them from the factory...
Well this is the first new Harley I've owned. The others have been used. Still can't figure out why it would be used. The service manual says nothing about it.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Well this is the first new Harley I've owned. The others have been used. Still can't figure out why it would be used. The service manual says nothing about it.
Not a clue why they use it...I don't when I service bikes and I have never had an issue. It is there when they are new though...

Old 11-18-2014, 08:13 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts

Harley is good at BS but plain and simple as long as you do your scheduled maintenance and keep you receipts they have to honor the warranty
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Old 11-18-2014, 09:30 PM
dwoodlives
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Since pipe dope is usually only used on 'tapered threads', and the treads in question are 'straight threads', I suspect H-D is using it as an "anti-seize" compound since it contain teflon.

Used sparingly . . . it's not a bad idea IMHO.

Last edited by dwoodlives; 11-19-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I ordered two plugs from Lakeshore last year (before they were shut down) and they both arrived with tape on the plugs. I just took them out of the bag and screwed them in. Torque and done. No leaks. No damage to the o-rings.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:06 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Talked to my service manager...he said they always use it.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:24 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I do my own oil changes so I have control.
I do use s small dab of anti-sieze on the spark plugs and drain plugs.
The word is small....
Helps keep the interaction between steel plugs and aluminum heads and pan to a minimum.

Quick Reply: Dealer Oil Change and Service