Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam change near finish but mysterious oil pump noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Dobe66
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cam change near finish but mysterious oil pump noise

New cams are installed in the cam plate and the plate has been torqued in place. I had inspected the pump when everything was out and it looked good. Went through the pump alignment procedure as outlined in the manual. That's when I first noticed the noise.

Hopefully this noise is normal. Sounds like "swish" or "whoosh" when rotating the rear wheel. It's repeated twice each time the crank turns one full revolution. The noise occurs when the flat on the end of the crankshaft is at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Dobe66; 11-21-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:19 AM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Are you sure this "whoosh" noise isn't just the cylinders going through the compression cycle? That's what it sounds like to me.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:20 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I've heard a lot of different whooshing noises when turning various engines over by hand, usually it's the crankcase breather doing its thing.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dobe66
New cams are installed in the cam plate and the plate has been torqued in place. I had inspected the pump when everything was out and it looked good. Went through the pump alignment procedure as outlined in the manual. That's when I first noticed the noise.

Hopefully this noise is normal. Sounds like "swish" or "whoosh" when rotating the rear wheel. It's repeated twice each time the crank turns one full revolution. The noise occurs when the flat on the end of the crankshaft is at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions.

Thoughts?
Without being there, I'd say it's the crankcase venting, I've heard the same (I think) noise.

Mark

Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Dobe66
Tourer

Sounds like the "sssssh" sound is coming from inside the cam case. I went ahead and buttoned her up because I couldn't come up with any answers other than the thread responses so far. Without any other mechanical noises and with the rear wheel rotating OK, I tried something else. Put the transmission back into neutral and, with the spark plugs still out, cranked her over several times for about 5-10 seconds each. I would have expected the oil pressure to start building up but saw no sign that that was happening at all.

What the heck is going on? Do I have to take it all back apart and start over?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like the "sssssh" sound is coming from inside the cam case. I went ahead and buttoned her up because I couldn't come up with any answers other than the thread responses so far. Without any other mechanical noises and with the rear wheel rotating OK, I tried something else. Put the transmission back into neutral and, with the spark plugs still out, cranked her over several times for about 5-10 seconds each. I would have expected the oil pressure to start building up but saw no sign that that was happening at all.

Did you pour any oil down on top of the lifters, and into the cam chest?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 PM
user 8373900
Banned

No, all is empty now. When you are done fire it up. If no pressure after a second or two then you may have an issue.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Dobe66
Tourer

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
No, all is empty now. When you are done fire it up. If no pressure after a second or two then you may have an issue.
It seems that turning the engine over with the starter, but without plugs installed, should be the equivalent of firing it up.

Could the pump's oil bypass valve be stuck open given the "ssssh" sound combined with no oil pressure build up? I did install a new Axtell oil bypass this time around.

Last edited by Dobe66; 11-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 PM
user 8373900
Banned

It seems that turning the engine over with the starter, but without plugs installed, should be the equivalent of firing it up.

Could the pump's oil bypass valve be stuck open given the "ssssh" sound combined with no oil pressure build up?
Not likely. I am not sure the guages get voltage when the starter is engaged. The oil pressure guage is electric. You could have pressure and not know it. I had the same sound turning mine over doing the cams. I'm sure you are fine. As long as there are no leftover parts.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you change oil filter at same time? An oil/filter change alone can require a few seconds running to get oil pressure gauge to move. At least on every harley I've owned. Those seem like long seconds waiting for the gauge and have seen people panic.

Quick Reply: Cam change near finish but mysterious oil pump noise