Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Rear tire?

I went out today against my better judgement. 40 degrees, I'm dressed with stuff that makes me feel stiff. I go into a left sweeper on a highway and the bike starts to shake right n left as I'm in the turns or sweepers on the highway.

I don't recall it doing that when it was 70 degrees. I'm thinking it was something to do with the cold temps and even how I'm dressed all bundled up.

I come home later and look at my tires and see my rear tire is flat even with the tread indicator. Basically bald in the middle and plenty of tread at the edges.

Do you think this shake or wobble was due to me leaning on a rear tire bald in the middle and deep treads on the ends??

Old 11-22-2014, 03:58 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

what happened to pre-ride checks.

I think that is really the question- if your tire is worn out, it's worn out and all handling bets are off.

if we didn't look at the tread, did we look at pressure or anything else?

TCLOCK

https://micapeak.com/info/T-CLOCK.html

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-22-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Lol....yup fail.
Any recommendations Mike on a new rear?

Old 11-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are running a flat center... best believe what you are experienced is a major... stop... drop... and roll.

I am due next riding season for new tires.

I will go with D407s and remove/install them myself. Though I am open to suggestions.

The question I have in regards to tires has more to do with heat rating. I know heat ratings exist on vehicle tires.

Anyways, I'm damn sure NOT going to pay the dealer cost/labor for something I can do myself.

Next real question if you have graduated... is to find an indy or other dealer that will do a good job putting the skins on at a decent rate. I know I have read on this site many instances where folks pay 15-30 dollars for mounting and balancing.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dunlop American Elite's are the 3rd party equivalent to the stock HD rubber. I like them and they're relatively inexpensive.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:31 PM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T-clocs

Old 11-22-2014, 06:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

well, the last rear was the dunlop- I prefer to go with oem style tires rather than experiment.

my last rear was actually less expensive at a dealer- we have 2 tire indys in PHX ( moto tire and the wheel shop) who help make this a competitive market they quoted my the american elite- but were backordered...the dealer had the HD for about $10 cheaper and I was going in for a recall anyway.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-22-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

As the tire wears, you get a wider and wider flat spot. Great for breaking I guess but when you roll up on it in the turns, it gets real squirrely going and coming off that edge. To me you get use to slowly till it gets really bad. New tire will feel like a sport bike.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:59 PM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Dunlop American Elite's are the 3rd party equivalent to the stock HD rubber. I like them and they're relatively inexpensive.

I second the AEs. I have the AE on the rear and it is wearing like iron and handles very well.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Definitely time for new rubber. If you were down here I'd recommend the Michelin Commander II. I have no idea how they handle on such cold pavement. You said 40 deg temp, Could it have been below freezing prior to your ride? And possibly black ice. Also there's the bagger wobble issue, But if your swingarm bushings or rear MM's arer sloppy you'd know at any temp in the sweepers.

Quick Reply: Rear tire?