Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A real rookie question -removing seat strap.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
it's only illegal to remove it if you keep the 2 up seat on. if you have a solo seat no problem.

to remove it, just remove the bolt holding the front saddlebag mount.
you can also remove it legally if you have a passenger backrest - the law is just to give the passenger something to help keep them in place

Old 11-23-2014, 11:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

My wife really likes to use the strap to keep her on the bike when we get moving through the Hills. If you carry a passenger, you may want to keep it.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Show me a law that makes it illegal to remove it. Don't believe it. It should be illegal for anyone to hold onto a vinyl strap held on by two screws. Does anyone actually use it? I doubt it.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Show me a law that makes it illegal to remove it. Don't believe it. It should be illegal for anyone to hold onto a vinyl strap held on by two screws. Does anyone actually use it? I doubt it.
IIRC the Feds require that for 2 up riding, there have to be grab handles or a strap for the passenger to hold onto

It was cheaper for the MoCo to use a strap to meet DOT requirements, IIRC the last year grab handles were installed OEM was 2002 or so, I got one off EBAY for my 03 clone project.

HD does make chrome grab handles for the newer bikes, and Kury makes them too, and they ain't cheap.

I've never heard of a cop busting them over a grab handle or strap being missing, he'd have to be a complete douche or you'd have to have really p*ssed him off. I can't think of any state where I have seen that requirement in law or regulation. I'd be interested in knowing what states do require them

Old 11-23-2014, 05:33 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Show me a law that makes it illegal to remove it. Don't believe it.
+1

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
IIRC the Feds require that for 2 up riding, there have to be grab handles or a strap for the passenger to hold onto

It was cheaper for the MoCo to use a strap to meet DOT requirements, IIRC the last year grab handles were installed OEM was 2002 or so, I got one off EBAY for my 03 clone project.

HD does make chrome grab handles for the newer bikes, and Kury makes them too, and they ain't cheap.

I've never heard of a cop busting them over a grab handle or strap being missing, he'd have to be a complete douche or you'd have to have really p*ssed him off. I can't think of any state where I have seen that requirement in law or regulation. I'd be interested in knowing what states do require them
There are Federal requirement for manufacturers to be able to sell a motor vehicle. Lighting, emissions, and others (like that strap on the seat) fall under this.

Unless a state actually has a law on the books preventing it, a cop isn't going to bother you about removing it.
They only "enforce" laws that are on the books in their jurisdiction.

There might be a state out there with that law, but I haven't ever heard of one.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
+1

There are Federal requirement for manufacturers to be able to sell a motor vehicle. Lighting, emissions, and others (like that strap on the seat) fall under this.

Unless a state actually has a law on the books preventing it, a cop isn't going to bother you about removing it.
They only "enforce" laws that are on the books in their jurisdiction.

There might be a state out there with that law, but I haven't ever heard of one.
Correct. The fact that the manufacturer is required to have a strap doesn't mean it is illegal to remove it.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 PM
laduckslayer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it....it'll void your warranty!

Sorry, had to do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by laduckslayer:
Oko (07-26-2021), Renegadewolf (07-25-2021)
Old 11-23-2014, 08:24 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by laduckslayer
Don't do it....it'll void your warranty! Sorry, had to do it.
Oh now you tell me !! Lol

Old 11-23-2014, 10:40 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

It's like the tags you get on a new mattress, "Do Not Remove Under Penalty Of Law"

The following users liked this post:
NiteOwl (07-25-2021)
Old 11-24-2014, 07:32 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

A buddy drilled out that rivet and used a dremel to cut the extra rivet bits left on. He uses the chrome bracket for his bungie tie down.

Me, I just cut the strap.

Last edited by RKZen; 11-24-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: A real rookie question -removing seat strap.....