Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cams for the Limited

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts
Default New Cams for the Limited

Finally got around to installing the new cams in my Limited yesterday. Wanted to get them in before putting her away for winter. Anyway after a lot of research, conversation with Bob Wood and consensus with Jamie Long I went with the Woods 555's for my basically stock Limited.

Attached Thumbnails New Cams for the Limited-cams-1.jpg   New Cams for the Limited-cams-2.jpg   New Cams for the Limited-cams-3.jpg   New Cams for the Limited-cams-4.jpg   New Cams for the Limited-cams-5.jpg  

Old 11-23-2014, 07:51 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Test rode it last night with plans to go out again today. With wet dark roads I was a little concerned about opening her up to see if I could feel the difference. Anyway, it is wet and salty out there so before she gets put up I will need to wash the crap off. Mission accomplished, I am ready for my buddies stage 1 CVO Ultra next spring in Daytona....

Attached Thumbnails New Cams for the Limited-cams-6.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 10:09 AM
northeimcustom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome! ride safe on those cold roads! and keep us updated. how long did it take you for the install?

Old 11-23-2014, 12:16 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did ya upgrade the intake or exhaust? What do ya plan to do for a tune?

Old 11-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

at 1 mile Jan13 when it was delivered to my house, I installed V&H Power Duals and Monster Rounds, a Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner and back plate and a Power Commander 5. I had been running a downloadable tune for that build. Went online and loaded the tune for same build but SE 255 cams. Cam specs are similar with the Woods having more duration and lift. Anyway for now it is running great but it was 55 degrees outside today, 95 in the summer may be different. Purchased the cam from Fuel Moto so will reach out to Jamie Monday

Rode about 20 miles last night in the rain, another 100 today and she is running great. 2-5K RPM WOT is exactly what I wanted, Ran her up to 100 just under 4k RPM from 40MPH and she pulled like she didn't want to stop and who knows where she will top out. 5 Bills I don't regret.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by northeimcustom
awesome! ride safe on those cold roads! and keep us updated. how long did it take you for the install?
I guess I pulled the exhaust off around 4 and by 8 I was pulling it out of the garage. Maybe 4 hours including putting up the tools, I am sure a dealership could do it faster.

Basically just remove the air filter cover, the exhaust, the right floor board and cam cover. Cut the old pushrods out with a big pair of bolt cutters and reassemble with the new cams and adjustable pushrods. Load a new program and fire it up. BTW, bolt cutters are the preferred method to remove perfect fit pushrods without creating grind debris that can be detrimental to the lifters.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

555 having different duration, lift and timing than 255 s makes them nowhere near the same and you should not be using a 255 map.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:31 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
at 1 mile Jan13 when it was delivered to my house, I installed V&H Power Duals and Monster Rounds, a Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner and back plate and a Power Commander 5. I had been running a downloadable tune for that build. Went online and loaded the tune for same build but SE 255 cams. Cam specs are similar with the Woods having more duration and lift. Anyway for now it is running great but it was 55 degrees outside today, 95 in the summer may be different. Purchased the cam from Fuel Moto so will reach out to Jamie Monday

Rode about 20 miles last night in the rain, another 100 today and she is running great. 2-5K RPM WOT is exactly what I wanted, Ran her up to 100 just under 4k RPM from 40MPH and she pulled like she didn't want to stop and who knows where she will top out. 5 Bills I don't regret.

I bet Mac here on the forum could help you out. He is pretty darn good with this Power Commander stuff. Fuel Moto had a trade in deal going and I sent in my old PCV and got a Power Vision. No regrets

Mark

Last edited by user 8373900; 11-23-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:28 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins

Here is a map that should fit little better than the 255 map. Just save it anywhere even the desktop and change the .docx to .pvm. Then with PCV software closed and not open just double click and it will open in PCV software and you are ready to go. You probably already know all that. Some folks don't. You'll be ready for that CVO as long as he doesn't get wind of what you have done and surprise you.
Mac

Attached Files
Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
555 having different duration, lift and timing than 255 s makes them nowhere near the same and you should not be using a 255 map.
The cams cam with a new map that did not run well. The supplier was out of office so I grabbed the clossest build from the PC website to confirm it wasnt a timing issue or something else. I sent my originaol and the supplied maps back to the supplier in an email and will be working this week to get the correct map as I know it will behave differently at 100 degrees next summer.

Quick Reply: New Cams for the Limited