Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Runs on Fresh Motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ci springer
I notice many people getting motor work, cams, pistons, heads, etc. then getting them dyno tuned with all the fresh parts in the motor. Am I the only one that wouldn't want my fresh motor getting beat to hell on a dyno?
Originally Posted by 95ci springer
I'll stick to what I know works. Slow and easy, varying rpm and nothing too high or constant. It worked on all my bikes without any problems.
What are you trying to achieve with this post? How the dyno break in process works? What is the process of bringing a motor to temp, cool down, heat cycles....? Two sides to this method of breaking in a motor. Might be good to hear from a dyno tuner that would share his expertise.

Last edited by Blowby; 11-23-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:37 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Dyno is the BEST way to seat your rings.

Controlled environment.

Why would anyone NOT want to break it in under controlled circumstances?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
This ^^.

Plus, every new bike gets a dyno run at the factory.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:50 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

all fuelmoto engine builds are broken in on the dyno. done right, you'll have a good running engine. done wrong, well....... same as if done wrong on the street.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:55 PM
95ci springer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The point is I'm shocked people pay to have motor work done and then instantly killing it on a dyno before a proper break in. I thought the bikes are run a little at the factory but if it's as easy as the one mentioned on a dyno, wouldn't it be broken in at the factory so they could end this debate right there? The Donny Petersen method seems the way to go.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:56 PM
95ci springer
Tourer

Heat cycle, to let everything expand and contract to seat themselves in.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:03 PM
95ci springer
Tourer

With dyno controlled environment break in being the best way to go, why isn't every
dyno shop or dealer with a dyno offering this service?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You are talking to yourself.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:20 PM
95ci springer
Tourer

I'm working and trying to post as I work. That's why I'm giving multi posts.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Hopefully someone who *actually* knows what they are talking about (Like Jamie or Scott from Hillside) will chime in on this thread.

Clearly, however, many extremely reputable builders recommend and do dyno break ins, and their builds are not spontaneously blowing up after 1000 miles.

So, while I understand that it must seem unwise to the less knowledgeable among us, empirical evidence shows otherwise.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I've been to the York Pa plant and watched them take every bike coming off the assembly line and run it on a dyno. They are not actually tuning them, but rather making sure that each bike meets predetermined bench marks. That being said, they do run them up to about 90mph. While they are not using drag race performance they don't baby them either. the 5 or 6 that I saw were run up to the limiter in most gears. They have digital displays so that people who take the Steel Toe tour can see the rpm's and mph. The tester has a bank of gauges and monitors in front of him

Anyhow, my point is that our bikes are put on a dyno a subjected to high rpm and speed at the factory, with no actual tuning being done. They also pull, at random, other bikes off the end of the line and move them to a separate room for more extensive testing. These bikes are then actually ridden on 15 mile loop around York to make sure all suspension, frame, etc. pieces are up to HD standards. These bikes are then, if they pass, put on the trucks and sent to the dealers for delivery.

The guy that was our tour guide told us that if we ever buy a new bike and it has less than 2 miles on it then something is amiss as that's
about what they put on them on the dyno. So, think about it. The bike comes off the line, gets run thru the gears to the limiter, to 90 mph
and taken off the dyn, all in 2 miles with no pre warm up. He also said that it's entirely possible to get a brand new bike that has as much as 17 miles on it due to the above testing.

Last edited by Deucedog; 11-23-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyno Runs on Fresh Motors