Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Runs on Fresh Motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First: You must explain what a "fresh" motor" is. Most of us put at least 1,000 miles before doing any dyno work.
Second: Why do you consider dynoing a motor as "instant killing" it? Done by a professional it will have better/proper A/F numbers than the stock motors which are set lean and run hot to meet the EPA restrictions. I'm no dyno expert but I've had multiple bikes Dyno'd w/o issue with any of them.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Ran my SGS120R an even 1000 miles then dyno'ed it. No problems. Limited rpm's during break-in to 4500.

Our race car engines are all broken-in on dyno. Think anybody's gonna put 1000 miles on a race engine (or chassis) before dyno tuning? Who's got the facilities (think race course and crew) to do that? Some of these engines are tuned to run thousands of miles under race conditions. That says something about reliability and longevity from breaking-in on a dyno.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I think we need to make one determination first before answering this question.

With a knowledgeable dyno operator, who knows that it's a brand new motor, he will treat it as such and do the proper tune for a brand new motor.I would think that he'd treat it entirely than if it's a motor with miles on it. With an 'old' motor he could skip the 'new motor' part and go right to the tuning phase.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:02 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Deucedog
I've been to the York Pa plant and watched them take every bike coming off the assembly line and run it on a dyno. They are not actually tuning them, but rather making sure that each bike meets predetermined bench marks. That being said, they do run them up to about 90mph. While they are not using drag race performance they don't baby them either. the 5 or 6 that I saw were run up to the limiter in most gears. They have digital displays so that people who take the Steel Toe tour can see the rpm's and mph. The tester has a bank of gauges and monitors in front of him

Anyhow, my point is that our bikes are put on a dyno a subjected to high rpm and speed at the factory, with no actual tuning being done. They also pull, at random, other bikes off the end of the line and move them to a separate room for more extensive testing. These bikes are then actually ridden on 15 mile loop around York to make sure all suspension, frame, etc. pieces are up to HD standards. These bikes are then, if they pass, put on the trucks and sent to the dealers for delivery.

The guy that was our tour guide told us that if we ever buy a new bike and it has less than 2 miles on it then something is amiss as that's
about what they put on them on the dyno. So, think about it. The bike comes off the line, gets run thru the gears to the limiter, to 90 mph
and taken off the dyn, all in 2 miles with no pre warm up. He also said that it's entirely possible to get a brand new bike that has as much as 17 miles on it due to the above testing.

Nice info, thanks.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:30 PM
95ci springer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By fresh I mean having not been broken in with less than 1,000 miles on the new parts. I understand the need to tune it but a generic tune should suffice to get you break in miles put on until a proper tune on a Dyno. And yes, I think revving motor to redline is beating on it. It isn't babying it. I wonder if there are comparisons by third parties to back up either way. If HD puts them on a dyno, why wouldn't they break if in then?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:04 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I personally think the "1000 mile break in" is to break in the rider. Not the bike...

The bike doesn't seem to care.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:07 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ci springer
I notice many people getting motor work, cams, pistons, heads, etc. then getting them dyno tuned with all the fresh parts in the motor. Am I the only one that wouldn't want my fresh motor getting beat to hell on a dyno?
All you are doing is seating the rings, it doesn't take long. A couple heat cycles and a few miles.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:11 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

There is one thing you absolutely must do, and that is to make sure the bike is warmed up before running it through the break in routine.

The bike has been run to the rev limiter before you bought it. Keeping it below 3,000 rpm after that is pointless.

You must generate enough combustion chamber pressure to push the rings out against the cylinder walls in order to properly seat them. This will not happen if you baby it, and after that it's too late.

There's a very good reason the MoCo doesn't recommend this, and lp's post above is correct...there's no way in hell they're going to tell a buyer who may be on the first bike over 250cc in his life to go out on the street and run it in a series of partial to full throttle runs to redline, and risk the guy running into the back end of a parked truck.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:47 PM
95ci springer
Tourer

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
There is one thing you absolutely must do, and that is to make sure the bike is warmed up before running it through the break in routine.

The bike has been run to the rev limiter before you bought it. Keeping it below 3,000 rpm after that is pointless.

You must generate enough combustion chamber pressure to push the rings out against the cylinder walls in order to properly seat them. This will not happen if you baby it, and after that it's too late.

There's a very good reason the MoCo doesn't recommend this, and lp's post above is correct...there's no way in hell they're going to tell a buyer who may be on the first bike over 250cc in his life to go out on the street and run it in a series of partial to full throttle runs to redline, and risk the guy running into the back end of a parked truck.
Another reason to ask why HD wouldn't do this for us then. Why do they recommend breaking them in in increments of rpm limits and no hard starts? Why would they tell us to do it this way if it doesn't work? I'd really like to know if either way is better or indifferent.

Last edited by 95ci springer; 11-23-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:41 PM
95ci springer
Tourer

Over heated piston

Attached Thumbnails Dyno Runs on Fresh Motors-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dyno Runs on Fresh Motors