Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Runs on Fresh Motors

Old 11-23-2014, 08:31 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ci springer
Another reason to ask why HD wouldn't do this for us then. Why do they recommend breaking them in in increments of rpm limits and no hard starts? Why would they tell us to do it this way if it doesn't work? I'd really like to know if either way is better or indifferent.
Because there are many other parts in a motor that need to get to know each other besides the pistons and rings if you don't know that. That's what the break-in procedure is actually intended for.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:36 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Break it in as you intend to eventually use it.Controlled dyno runs with a skilled builder/tuner are the best way to "break in" a new engine.Its time to give up the old wive's tale/urban legend of mollycoddling an engine to "break" it in,especially on a new bike,after all that's what it has a warranty for...

Old 11-24-2014, 04:06 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I notice many people getting motor work, cams, pistons, heads, etc. then getting them dyno tuned with all the fresh parts in the motor. Am I the only one that wouldn't want my fresh motor getting beat to hell on a dyno?
The first time was very un-nerving. The second a little less. The third time, I am good with it.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 AM
95ci springer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Because there are many other parts in a motor that need to get to know each other besides the pistons and rings if you don't know that. That's what the break-in procedure is actually intended for.
Others on here, not me, would say differently.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Dyno is the BEST way to seat your rings.

Controlled environment.

Why would anyone NOT want to break it in under controlled circumstances?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I agree with everything in the mototuneusa tech article. Alloys, cylinders, bearings and rings are superior to when the old school break-in techniques were developed. Tradition has been surpassed by materials and procedural standards.

New school thinking is run it hard. Dyno break in is the way to go. Or in my case.... ride the **** out of it. 17,000 miles and no problems under 12 PSI of boost

Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 AM
95ci springer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If dyno break in is the way to go, when do you think dealers with dynos will start offering the preferred break in as a service for a nominal fee with a new bike purchase?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:33 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If dyno break in is the way to go, when do you think dealers with dynos will start offering the preferred break in as a service for a nominal fee with a new bike purchase?
Thunder Tower HD Columbia SC. offers a free baseline dyno run with the purchase of a new motorcycle. Even as we speak.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

• How long will it take to properly break in a new bike on the dyno?
  • Is the flat rate for labor used for time running or overall time sitting on the dyno?
  • What is the dyno usage fee on top of the labor rate?

And the number one question - Will this cause a liability shift from the manufacturer to the dealer for all warranty claims on the engine?

Last edited by Blowby; 11-24-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

How 'bout I break MY bike in the way I see fit and you break YOUR bike in the way you see fit ?

600 miles on the clock and it's going in for Stage I and a dyno tune.

I asked the dealer about dyno runs on new bikes and he said they do it all the time and have never had a problem.

If your skeered don't do it.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:19 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I notice many people getting motor work, cams, pistons, heads, etc. then getting them dyno tuned with all the fresh parts in the motor. Am I the only one that wouldn't want my fresh motor getting beat to hell on a dyno?
No I don't think you are the only one. I preferred to have my built motors tuned on dyno before running on street as it isn't carb and can't run a rich jet therefore I prefer to have it tuned after heat cycles To prevent over heating during the most critical part of a motors life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno Runs on Fresh Motors