Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why didn't I ride a bike with a fairing before??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:20 AM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
I've been riding Harleys for over 50 years & in 2007 bought my first bike with a fairing & now own a 2011 RG, so I know what you're talking about.

what was your first "fairing" bike in 2007? let me explain what I'm talking about..Maybe in you past experiences you lived in a state that does not require helmets if that is the case then you wouldn't know what I'm taking about..Maybe you shorter than I am and you fit in the "wind pocket" you wouldn't know what I'm talking about. Maybe you wear a half helmet you wouldn't know what I'm talking about. I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years or so (started on a jr50 so I'm counting it) I'm only 40 so give me a break..However I have owned over 20 bikes..6 in the past 2 years so I might have just a touch of knowledge when I say that Harley batwing bikes suck on the freeway period. RG well that's a different animal even though the new ones look like dog crap they still have less buffeting. That's why I said a Road King is the best Harley Touring bike made why? Well first off you can take the wind shield off and look like a guy that likes to enjoy what a bike is meant for wind and comfort. Have a idea of what I'm talking about now?

Old 11-25-2014, 11:23 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Actually loved my '06 RKC with Beach Handlebars. Come cold weather spells. My hands and legs froze.

Decided to trade for SG to find out that all the extras cost more than the UC so I ended up with that bike. Didn't realize that the fairing and lowers are the best after all. Will never go back to other bikes w/o them.

I completely understood where you're coming from.

Thorey

Old 11-25-2014, 11:24 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just bought this Street Glide and it's outstanding in comparison to riding the Dyna.

And my Street Glide has little to no head buffeting and I roll at about 75/80mph.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RevBlk
It's why I put a Reckless Fairing on my Road King. Around town I strip it off and enjoy the breeze. Hitting the hwy. I put it and my tourpak on and LIFE is good.

Except I won't be able to do it for another 6 months because of all the friggin snow up here.

Grrr
I am in the market for a fairing myself right now. I met the Reckless guys at a rally a and was ready to buy. Complete douchebags...I am still looking...

Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 AM
snirtman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaJ
I agree to a point..A roadking with a shield is by far the best touring bike out there. I know that guys will tell you that a street glide is better but they are just to pissed to tell you that the wind buffeting is a nightmare! 14? nah that's the same old crap that little vent is BS. Any bike with a good ol Memphis shades shield or something like it is the best bet But you know what they say about opinions...

X2! Took me 2 freakin years to realize the samething on my RKC! Now the dam shield is on all the time....

Last edited by snirtman; 11-25-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Herbkell
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaJ
I agree to a point..A roadking with a shield is by far the best touring bike out there. I know that guys will tell you that a street glide is better but they are just to pissed to tell you that the wind buffeting is a nightmare! 14? nah that's the same old crap that little vent is BS. Any bike with a good ol Memphis shades shield or something like it is the best bet But you know what they say about opinions...
See my sig - I rode almost 10K miles on my FHLR before I put on a Memphis shades - not enough experience on it to tell how good it is

I now have about 1000 miles on my FHLX and (my opinion) it way better from a buffetting and noise point of view than a windshield FHLR (and I tried three heights) It's now even better with the taller 8" Long Range Shield.

Again just and opinion but comes from riding both bikes in the last month or so.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:50 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any shield or fairing is better than none no question IF you can ride down the road with out having to duck into the wind tunnel or move your legs this way and that way ETC..., I was amazed that I walk into a Harley Dealership and leave with a 23,000.00 motorcycle and put another 12,000 into it and still had buffeting, 4 shields, 2 seats, and fangs..still had that god awful buffeting. With as much money they charge for these bikes you think the engineers would come up with something better than a damn mail box slot. Just plain sad get a range of riders go in a wind tunnel and design a new batwing maybe a adjustable shield? Maybe adjustable wings that come out of the sides when your on the freeway? The answer for me was to sell it and go back to wind directly hitting me in the face and chest at least I know where its coming from!! . I was excited to ride the new 14's when they came out and I threw the towel in when I went on the freeway and my head felt like it was getting hit by Tyson. I'm getting a small shield for my fatboy so when I ride that metal seat 300 miles a day I can feel rested...LOL

Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This isnt any accomplishment in the real riding world but wife and I put 4300+ miles on our ultra in the last month and half and still worked for a living. We did 1800 in 6 days on one ride actually rode only 4 days of that and sat around 2.

Point being my opinion is that between the faring the fairing side shields or whatever you call them and the fork deflectors and correct sized w/s it was a breeze no pun intended. We could have turned around and did it over backwards and felt just as good probably better haha.

These batwing faring touring bikes have lots of experience in designing them they dont suit everybody. But the ones they do are very well served by them for their intended purpose. my .002

Old 11-25-2014, 01:49 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
live and learn.
Now its time to try the HD fork mounted wind deflectors. some call'em 'fangs'. Eliminates head buffeting. Nice H-D accessory.
+1. The single best mod I made to the airflow on my bike.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:29 PM
05softailnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
+1. The single best mod I made to the airflow on my bike.

I have 'em on my Street Glide. Never heard them called fangs, but I like that. They help a lot and I actually like the look. Some don't. I also put those adjustable fairing deflectors on there like the ultras have. Now I can control the amount of air I feel depending on temperature. Never any buffeting. Ever.

Like the OP, the closest thing to a windshield I ever had was a mini café fairing on my rice rockets. Got my first used HD about 8 years ago and it had a police style windshield. I loved it, but I did have some buffeting with certain helmets. Wound up putting a Memphis Shades batwing on there along with the fork lowers. I was hooked. If I were rich, I would have an old school cruiser for around town with no windshield or fairing but I can't imagine going back to doing highway trips without the fairing.

Quick Reply: Why didn't I ride a bike with a fairing before??