Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headwinds H4 LED headlight vs HID

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
That makes sense. I was confused because the op used the word ballast.
Yeah, I called it a ballast. I'll call HW today and see what they say. Rode in to work in the dark and it was much better than before. Is it more focused or does it throw stuff everywhere? Not sure yet. It was 5:30 AM. All I know is I could see much better.

I am also yet to adjust the height of the new light. I'll have to find time to do a comprehensive review with pics and such, maybe over the weekend. I live right in the middle of the city and there are only a few places where there are no lights at all on the way to work.

All I know I like having extra light on the way in. It is also nice in the day as it makes me more visible to cars.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

So the reason there is a driver for this kit is that the more power the lights get the brighter they shine. The fan is obviously for cooling purposes and the cooler the bulb runs the brighter it is as well. This the nature of LED's. When comparing lumens with different bulbs keep in mind that there is no government regulation on lumens unlike wattage so a lumen claim is just that, a claim.

This kit is high energy. Regardless, get what makes you happy but I thought I would do a little research on this.

Drew

Old 11-26-2014, 11:48 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interested to see how the LED's work for you down the road. I had a Daymaker on a Dyna, it had a sharp focused beam. No wasted light washing out on the sides. The optics may be the reason the Daymakers co$t so much.
On another light related subject. What kind of running light/turn signals do you have? I'm looking for a combo type lamp, like on Audis. White running light, then when you need it an amber turn signal.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Those are Custom Dynamics Dynamic Rings. If you have a 13 or earlier you need a load equalizer as well. They are $75 for the lights and a L/E is about the seam depending on which one yet get. I got the BT plug and play equalizer.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:13 AM
northeimcustom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more pics hogpro! any static in radio????

Old 11-27-2014, 08:39 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by austinslider
The Daymakers price tag has kept me away from it too...
not me, I took the plunge for my 2013 because I saw them on the 2014 limited....gotta be better then right.....not so much. I replaced both the headlight and the auxiliary lights with the full LEDs. after riding for about 20000 miles, in my opinion, they are a reliable product, they work great for straight roads and have good visibility to the direct front but the peripheral vision is rather limited in my opinion. I think the daymaker reflector daymaker headlight might have been a better choice, at least for my country back roads that I travel in the wee early morning hours. the headlight pattern reminds me of an aircraft wing.....when you turn, you loose the opposite direction visibility like a plane in a banking maneuver (wing up). I've had deer suddenly appear on the shoulder because you just can't see that well to the sides. not a bad product for urban, suburb or straight highway riding but falls short in the country.
jmho but I think the money could be better spent on a different product line or manufacturer.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 381 Posts

Some of these drop in LED's are really coming along well. I have one on my other bike and it works great. The kit I bought had 2 lights for $99. There is only a single waterproof plug between the bulb and the driver also. The light output is very good.
Amazon.com: GENSSI 5000K LED Kit Headlight Conversion Kit CREE LED Bulbs HID Replacement (H4 (9003)): Automotive Amazon.com: GENSSI 5000K LED Kit Headlight Conversion Kit CREE LED Bulbs HID Replacement (H4 (9003)): Automotive

Old 11-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 3,081 Posts

I'm curious as to how the low beam works as far as on coming traffic. Anyone flashing at you yet? I hope not, as brighter is indeed better! Looks good.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

No one ever flashes me even with hi beam on in the dark. I always ride with brights. Day, night, etc.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I want to get one of these for the wife's Nightster but the bucket is too shallow. My dealership had something like this with the same dimensions. ......SUCKS!!

Quick Reply: Headwinds H4 LED headlight vs HID