Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted inner fairing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

I passed on buying a bike with a painted inner fairing--- Red Sunglow.

Reason being that the inner reflections of the sun were really hard on the eyes.

Like a Pilot or Quarterback- I prefer to have less light reflected at the eyes when i am trying to see downrange.

Sometimes I have to flip up my gas lid or put a doo-rag over it.

Maybe doesn;t apply to you but does to me.

Mike

Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

++ 1 on Paul Barber great guy and great price $375.00 installed in 45 minutes can't beat that.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

When I replaced my stock handlebars w/chubby chrome-internal wiring, I figured it would be silly to have it that far apart, and not paint the inner fairing. Asked a local dealer who has treated me fairly,who does their painting.Had them do the job. $200, and the color matched perfectly(crimson sunglo)Used a side cover to match. 70,000 miles later, paint still really good. no cracks at all.Plus, I did all the labor myself, saved money there.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:15 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've worried about the glare Mike mentions. Although I've had no issue with glare off my inner, the gas filler lid was a problem. I nuked it for the glare plus I hated having to find they key when I needed gas. Re the inner, I was considering using a satin finish over the tins color.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:42 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I've never had an issue with glare from the inner fairing once, Had mine painted about 4 yrs ago and it still looks perfect. No way I would pay the dealer/Moco price for a painted inner but it's your money. Just find a decent shop and they should know what needs to be done. I used the shop the dealer I was using at the time recommended. Easy to remove and install, I bought a used take off and had it painted so I wouldn't have any down time and then sold my stock inner for what I bought the other fairing for. Definitely gives the bike a more finished look!

Old 11-26-2014, 04:43 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VB2KDH
Strongly recommend you check out "Painted Harley Fairings" on Facebook and then get in touch with Paul Barber.

+1 for Paul

Old 11-26-2014, 05:00 PM
BuzzL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Paul Barber might be the guy. A highly recommended painter up here wanted $450.00. I will be headed to Daytona early next year, will give him a call. Thanks guys. Ride safe

Old 11-26-2014, 05:25 PM
chrisfoot
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another good reason for me to move to FLA. Wish there was a person to do a swap out in PGH.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 PM
BuzzL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I've never had an issue with glare from the inner fairing once, Had mine painted about 4 yrs ago and it still looks perfect. No way I would pay the dealer/Moco price for a painted inner but it's your money. Just find a decent shop and they should know what needs to be done. I used the shop the dealer I was using at the time recommended. Easy to remove and install, I bought a used take off and had it painted so I wouldn't have any down time and then sold my stock inner for what I bought the other fairing for. Definitely gives the bike a more finished look!

You bike is awesome, your truck is awesome, and you are awesome for your 22 years of protecting our freedom. God Bless. Ride safe, thats a lot of motor you got there.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:07 PM
swervin irv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul Barber did mine.Perfect match,no problems and a great guy ....................

Quick Reply: Painted inner fairing question