Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted inner fairing question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM
BuzzL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painted inner fairing question

Looking at doing the painted inner fairing. Noticed Ronnies Harley Davidson has a good price. Has anyone had any issues with cracking, peeling, etc.? Im not so sure about having the existing one painted. I feel like the Moco might be the way to go in case of a problem down the road. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:16 AM
05softailnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like a total dolt, I tipped my '14 SG over in the driveway and scratched the fairing, mirror, inner fairing, and bag. I had to repair or place the inner and the standard black one is nearly $500 with a factory painted being a good deal more. I found a recommended painter in the area with a lot of Harley experience and he fixed all the damage and painted the inner to match. He got the paint direct from PPG instead of what the dealership sells, which he said is not actually the same paint as factory. In any case, it looks fantastic. I cannot imagine the factory one looking any better. He also put on those mirror covers that HD sells and painted them to match as well. If you find a good painter, you may come out better having it painted to match. Also, it presents a good opportunity to have touch up done for any minor dings here & there without adding much expense to the cost of the inner paint job.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 AM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2013 midnight pearl street glide. Went with the painted inner from my Harley dealer. Perfectly matched color and you dont have to worry about any cracking. Read some stories about guys having theirs painted and had cracking issues with the paint. I also put some 11" bars on and wanted to get rid of the faring mirrors. The painted inner from Harley has no mirror mounting holes so it worked out great for me.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

...... had mine painted a year ago & the painter added a product that allows the paint to flex a bit given the stresses inherent w/large plastic parts.
...... used PPG paint, matches up really well in the sun (which is not easy w/the Pearls)

Old 11-26-2014, 11:11 AM
05softailnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
...... had mine painted a year ago & the painter added a product that allows the paint to flex a bit given the stresses inherent w/large plastic parts.
...... used PPG paint, matches up really well in the sun (which is not easy w/the Pearls)
Nice looking paint job. To billbuzz's point, going with the factory replacement is the safest way to go. I am merely pointing out that you can get a good custom job done if you use a good painter, preferably one that is familiar with HD motorcycles and paint. I went to the dealer to inquire about fairing replacement, touch up paint, etc. when figuring out what to do. They actually referred me to my guy. He does all of their paint work for repairs, customization's, etc. All he does is paint Harleys and the occasional hot rod. No fender bender repair. He knows how to prep & paint HD parts that flex and uses top shelf products. I know that if a problem does arise he will stand behind his work. If you can't find someone like this who fits the bill, it is probably better to get the factory parts. This is not the time to go with the lowest bidder.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I want/need to get my inner fairing painted. Never really thought about the paint cracking...

Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 AM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

Strongly recommend you check out "Painted Harley Fairings" on Facebook and then get in touch with Paul Barber.

Last edited by VB2KDH; 11-26-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added text
Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 AM
pacemakertom
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a fellow in Daytona area that will swap out your inner for a painted one.

Great job and reasonable also.
Took him about 50 minutes.

Paul Barber phone# is 904-589-5253
He has a facebook page also..
Tom

Attached Thumbnails Painted inner fairing question-photo-4-.jpg   Painted inner fairing question-key-west-winter-2013-017.jpg   Painted inner fairing question-key-west-winter-2013-016.jpg   Painted inner fairing question-key-west-winter-2013-018.jpg  

Last edited by pacemakertom; 11-26-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

The OP should have no problem getting a good match for his black bike locally. If he was trying to match some of the new pearl/metallic paints, I'd be looking at HD.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:05 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had my inner painted by a local shop 3 years ago, using ppg. Beautifully done, no cracks since. I think I paid $200, after I removed it. Even with complicated colors, a good paint shop can do the work and you'll save tons.

Attached Thumbnails Painted inner fairing question-img_20141125_105713292_hdr.jpg  

Quick Reply: Painted inner fairing question